Big Big Issue with my 2012 LR4!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Georgemera1

Reaction score
I asked here about how much would I save if I replace the brake pads and rotors myself or buying the parts and getting my local mechanic to do that. I got good ideas here but at the end I brought my car to the dealer on this passed Wednesday, dropped it early in the morning and I got a Discovery loaner, the advisor said It will take couple hours to get the service done for $ 850.00 and replacing front/back rotors and brakes pads for $ 2,100.00. I did not hear anything until 2:00 PM when I called and ask, they said that it is going to take little longer because they are busy, called again at 4:00 not answer, 4:30 PM not answer but then around 5:00 PM the advisor called and said that it going to take longer because they found a problem with my LR4 engine and that they are running diagnostics but couldn't find anything and they will work late to fix it and hopefully I can have my car back at the next day.
I went to the dealer at the next day and the advisor said they found a problem with the engine but they don't know exactly what it is then I asked to see my car and they took me to the shop to see what is happening with it. The head mechanic there took me there and turn my car on and I did listen a loud noise coming from the engine like when pistons and valves are gone and hitting, the mechanic said it looks like the Crankshaft is gone and hitting. It was really creepy for me to hear that since I did not have any issues with my car since I bought it in 2012, I been very happy with my LR4 but now everything is screwed. I don't trust this dealer anymore and to me is like something happened in there, I'm thinking maybe they drove it with the engine with out oil during the testing of the new brakes rotors and pads.
They offered me to replace the engine with a new one, they said the engine started to make those noises after the oil change, they said everything is going to be covered by warranty and that my car will get a 2016 brand new engine coming from England.
My car has a 18,000 miles on it. I did not use it everyday because I have a truck that I use daily on my work.

Let me know your thoughts about it.

Thanks,

George

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would continue to be suspicious about this. I would want to know without any BS what the &^$* was done on my vehicle. It's not good to jump to conclusions, but when people act in ways that are obviously sketchy to the casual observer, it only takes some common sense to suspect some shena****ns.

When is the last time that anyone here had a dealer offer them a free new engine?

Please keep the updates coming, Georgemera1!

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When there is smoke there is fire.
I would suspect the same.
Technician was in a rush and was doing the service and brakes at the same time, and was not paying attention
one of three things happened
One - Never filled the truck back up after draining the oil
Two - Forgotten to tighten the drain plug and it fell out during the road test
Three - Under filled the engine oil

I would push the issue with the dealer, as I would not want an engine replacement on my warranty history.
Chance are you will get a re-manufactured engine (there are different part numbers) from Jaguar as "NEW" engines replaced under warranty are only done under special circumstances and with prior approval from JLR.
Also make sure you dealer does not add anything to the original service ticket regarding the engine. The minute you sign or initial the addition you lose all legal grounds.
I would ask the dealer to verify the Re-manufactured part number and a new genuine engine part number and prior to installation you should personally verify the number on the engine crate.

Hope this gets resolved soon.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man this sucks. hope everything works out.

McKinneyBB

Reaction score
How would they replace with a 16 engine when the 12 is a V8 and the 16 would be a Turbo V6.

Something very fishy.

Georgemera1

Reaction score
Today I called Land Rover Customer Service and it was a really bad experience, from the first moment I started explaining my situation to the lady on the other side I felt contradicted and frustrated to listen her to say that is normal for a machine or engine to failed and that I should feel happy because the dealer is giving me a free new engine, between other things she also said that I should follow what the dealer advisor is telling me they are going to do because that dealer is really prestigious in the area.
I got very angry and made a decision to hang up the phone because I was at the point were you want to scream and get all your frustration go out. As a customer I felt like the company from where I trusted and bought one of their cars for almost $ 70,000.00 in 2012 didn't help or back up their product. I said to myself why didn't buy the Mercedes or Audi instead of this one, trust me I love my LR4 but the customer service and dealers suck and make me wish to buy other brand in the future.
Will see what is going to happen at the end of this ugly experience.

George.

Georgemera1

Reaction score
How would they replace with a 16 engine when the 12 is a V8 and the 16 would be a Turbo V6.

Something very fishy.

Everything is fishy here and I don't even know what to think about it. Today I went to the dealer to see the option if they can buy my car back so I can get other new one but they said the only option for me is to wait for the new engine, drove around the dealer and saw my LR4 parked on their back patio with the driver window open, yesterday rained all night in my area so I'm thinking my car got wet in there and maybe the electric in the door should be damaged, went to the office to talk to the advisor and told him what I saw and he says that the reason it is open is because they were working on it and they need to bring it to the shop but I don't think it is true because they can't do anything else until the engine arrives in 7 days as stated for the advisor. Minutes later I saw a guy to go there and close the window of my car and used the physical key to close my car and I'm asking me myself why he didn't use the Key Fob to do that. Like I said before everything is screwed and I doubt on everything they said about my truck and what they are going to do.

George.

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could totally believe that they would be incompetent enough to blow the engine out. But offer to put a 2016 v6 in it? That sounds too nutty. Are you sure that's what they offered?? If this is all true, I would talk to a lawyer before agreeing to anything. A replaced engine definitely would be a red flag and hurt your value when it came time to selling your truck.

dc_v01

Reaction score
About the 2016 engine- isn't the V8 used in other models? Why wouldn't they use a currently produced engine as a replacement, instead of stockpiling older engines for warranty work? Although it looks like they are shady and definitely screwed up, I don't see anything fishy about the way they're fixing the problem. Be happy to get a new engine with 0 miles!

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could totally believe that they would be incompetent enough to blow the engine out. But offer to put a 2016 v6 in it? That sounds too nutty. Are you sure that's what they offered?? If this is all true, I would talk to a lawyer before agreeing to anything. A replaced engine definitely would be a red flag and hurt your value when it came time to selling your truck.

OKay, whoa down everyone. Let's get more details. First, is this vehicle still under manufacturer's warranty? What was it, 4/50,000 for this rig? Having worked for an OEM, I can promise you this is not getting paid for by JLR if it was a dealer issue. Engine replacements under warranty go through serious scrutiny from the OEM. They will know if it was run out of oil. Doubt a dealer would risk it. And, believe it or not, sometimes **** does happen at the weirdest of times. My other issue is that this vehicle would probably run for a bit without oil and certainly long enough without damage to give the driver a low oil warning, so I am not buying that argument.

A scenario could have been leaving it idling without being in the vehicle while (for whatever reason) there was no oil. Example might be that tech Joe tells his newbie to change the oil on that rig in bay 2. Tech joe already drained the oil, but newbie doesn't know that and starts the rig to warm up the oil to drain it more easily. Boom.

It's a stretch. As for the "new 2016", I highly doubt the dealer was talking about a new v6 engine. Most people don't know that a "brand new" engine in dealer speak is a reman engine. That said, we are not talking about a boss 429 or 68 Camaro RS/SS. Who cares if is has a reman block? Not going to make a difference. Some might say, yeah, I have a new engine!

I would be ****** that they are treating your rig like a piece of crap though. I'd go directly to the dealer principal if I were you. I'd tell him you they need to move your vehicle inside and make sure that it did not get wet. If it did, they need to take care of it. If he's a dbag, tell him you are going to go onto Yelp, Google, Dealerrater, ****** customer, etc and trash them out on every review site possible. Use that as a last resort He'll get the picture.

Let us know what's going on. I'm wondering how much is getting lost in translation here.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72