Big Big Issue with my 2012 LR4!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Georgemera1

Reaction score
OKay, whoa down everyone. Let's get more details. First, is this vehicle still under manufacturer's warranty? What was it, 4/50,000 for this rig? Having worked for an OEM, I can promise you this is not getting paid for by JLR if it was a dealer issue. Engine replacements under warranty go through serious scrutiny from the OEM. They will know if it was run out of oil. Doubt a dealer would risk it. And, believe it or not, sometimes **** does happen at the weirdest of times. My other issue is that this vehicle would probably run for a bit without oil and certainly long enough without damage to give the driver a low oil warning, so I am not buying that argument.

A scenario could have been leaving it idling without being in the vehicle while (for whatever reason) there was no oil. Example might be that tech Joe tells his newbie to change the oil on that rig in bay 2. Tech joe already drained the oil, but newbie doesn't know that and starts the rig to warm up the oil to drain it more easily. Boom.

It's a stretch. As for the "new 2016", I highly doubt the dealer was talking about a new v6 engine. Most people don't know that a "brand new" engine in dealer speak is a reman engine. That said, we are not talking about a boss 429 or 68 Camaro RS/SS. Who cares if is has a reman block? Not going to make a difference. Some might say, yeah, I have a new engine!

I would be ****** that they are treating your rig like a piece of crap though. I'd go directly to the dealer principal if I were you. I'd tell him you they need to move your vehicle inside and make sure that it did not get wet. If it did, they need to take care of it. If he's a dbag, tell him you are going to go onto Yelp, Google, Dealerrater, ****** customer, etc and trash them out on every review site possible. Use that as a last resort He'll get the picture.

Let us know what's going on. I'm wondering how much is getting lost in translation here.

My car warranty expired Feb/2016 that's what they said when I called JLR Customer Service but the dealer keeps telling me that due to the circumstances they were waiting for an authorization from JLR to order the engine which they got it because they said are pushing to get the whole engine replaced instead of opening or replacing just the damaged part.
Advisor told me they are putting a new engine 2016 and I'm sure they are talking about the same type of engine V8. Today I'm going to talk to the dealer director or principal directly and let him know what I think because I'm 100% sure that something happen in the dealer and that's why my car is like that now. After reading here somethings are clearer for me because Mr. advisor keeps telling that my Land Rover is going to gain in value because of the new engine and said all this thing wont go to Carfax.
I will check the inside of my vehicle today and see if got wet.

George.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OKay, whoa down everyone. Let's get more details.

My original position was and remains, that OP has abundant reasons to feel ****** around and justifiably suspicious. I'm basing that on the fact set that has been shared so far; granted, taking it at face value. There is always another side to these stories but it sounds like the dealership has not been forthcoming. In fact it sounds like they are in classic CYA mode. My .02.

And more details definitely needed!

I try not to escalate things too quickly in situations like this, but my conversation with the dealership's principal or GM would have taken place on the first day under the circumstances as described.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My car warranty expired Feb/2016 that's what they said when I called JLR Customer Service but the dealer keeps telling me that due to the circumstances they were waiting for an authorization from JLR to order the engine which they got it because they said are pushing to get the whole engine replaced instead of opening or replacing just the damaged part.
Advisor told me they are putting a new engine 2016 and I'm sure they are talking about the same type of engine V8. Today I'm going to talk to the dealer director or principal directly and let him know what I think because I'm 100% sure that something happen in the dealer and that's why my car is like that now. After reading here somethings are clearer for me because Mr. advisor keeps telling that my Land Rover is going to gain in value because of the new engine and said all this thing wont go to Carfax.
I will check the inside of my vehicle today and see if got wet.

George.

George,

That's new information. The vehicle is NOT under manufacturer's warranty. I'd tread lightly in this scenario. Why, because you have absolutely no proof and no way of getting proof. This is a "he said, he said" scenario. in cased like this, if it were to be adjudicated, you'd very like lose as the burden of proof would be on your to prove they did something not for them to prove they didn't (not an attorney buy spent plenty of time in small claims and lemon law court in Washington state defending Ford Motor Company).

If you did win, the decision would be to repair the vehicle to like condition which the dealer is doing. If it were me, I'd ask for an extended warranty at dealer cost and call it a day.

My point is that (since it is not under warranty) they probably messed up. They seem to be resolving it the right way (other than the window being left open and not telling you what really happened).

I don't think you gain anything here by blowing up. They are going to fix it and that's all a judge would make them do. There's no loss of value here with a new engine replacement or a reman for that matter.

I know it sucks, but my advice (since you are off warranty and have ZERO leverage) is to just roll with it.

Good luck

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer or JLR is standing behind the engine, replacing it with new V8. Your not sure who is providing the $$$'s and really you should not care. Catastrophic engine failures after the end of the warranty but of short out-of-warranty periods sometimes are taken care of depending on the failure. Appears the dealer and JLR worked out the details. Let them manage the execution.

Georgemera1

Reaction score
I want to believe that I'm in good hands, the new engine arrived on last Friday and yesterday I was called by my Service Advisor to see the new engine next to my car and see they are working on removing the old engine. As far as I saw in fact it looks like new Service Engine and it is in the box that came from England and the date says July/27/2016 even in one part inside the engine it is dated as July/2016.
If all this is real I'm going to be very happy that the dealer acted in honest way and they are backing up my car with JLR.

I will continue updating updating later.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    854 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    632.3 KB · Views: 103

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just catching up on the forums after a several month hiatus. I can't wait for more updates here, but glad to see this is being resolved.

Forty Deuce

Reaction score
So perhaps this is a rookie question, but is it poor protocol and style to say which dealership this is?

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So perhaps this is a rookie question, but is it poor protocol and style to say which dealership this is?

Most dealers troll these forums, so you may or may not want to burn that bridge.
It's really up to the OP. If I had a problem like this, i would have no problem naming the dealer. Sometimes public shame is the only way to get them to do the right thing, or change processes to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Georgemera1

Reaction score
I got my car back 8 days ago and I didn't write an update yet because I was waiting to see how my car is running, so far the engine is working smoothly didn't listen and see anything to complain and it looks like they did a great job replacing the old engine with the new service engine.
One only thing It happened like 3 days ago was that when I turned the car on after sitting all night, my wife and I listened some kind of a loud click like when some electric click is starting something when the engine goes on, it was a little bit loud than normal it should but I been driving my car this weekend and didn't listen anything again yet.
I'm crossing my fingers hoping I don't get any issue with my car and the new engine.
My dealer service advisor told me that he will follow up with me early this week but he never called back again.
I got a call on Thursday from the Dealer Survey asking me how I would rate them based on the service and the true is that I'm still impressed and frustrated with all the problem and aggravation that we passed through. I told them that if everything continues working normal that I will be very happy. I think the dealer and JLR backed up my car, I really don't know what happened in the dealer during the oil and brakes changing but based on everything they did and show me the progress of the engine replacing I want to believe they acted in honest way fixing what needed to be fixed in order to give me my car back in the same condition as it was dropped at the dealer service.
I will post again later, giving it 1 more week of use to my car. I do have more pictures that I took during this nightmare at the dealer.

George.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72