Bluetooth sound over speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pabs406

Reaction score
Is there a way to receive audio to the car speakers from a device such as an iPhone? I've tried via Bluetooth, and not only can you not hear through the car's speakers, but it also disables the audio from the device itself.

Is it just not possible? Can it only be done via AUX? If so, where is the AUX outlet?

Thanks for any help.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you have your iPhone connected to the vehicle via bluetooth, it will not automatically default to playing music over your LR4's stereo unless you tell your LR4 to pull the music from the phone. The fact that the audio is disabled on your iPhone tells me you have it connected--and your iPhone is trying to push audio to your LR4--but your LR4 isn't trying to play music from your iPhone.

To select bluetooth audio (and I am going off memory here so bear with me):

Go to audio/video (top left icon?) on your stereo, then select "my music" (middle icon on the left), then select whatever name you have given your phone. I believe it has a bluetooth symbol next to it.

Alternatively, you should have a USB port inside your center armrest/storage cubby, under the lid. You can use your iPhone charging cable to plug your phone into that, then go through the above steps to select it.

EDIT:

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy3oJxCBYRM

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pabs406, it sounds like you have successfully connected to your LR's onboard BT. Based on your symptoms (muted phone), have you made sure that your phone's volume controls aren't turned down? I'm not trying to be patronizing here-- even after using BT music streaming almost every day in my car, this occasionally happens to me. My phone "won't connect" until I realize that I turned the ringer/volume control all or most of the way down. A few presses and I've got music blaring again. Worth a try.

My 2011 doesn't have audio BT streaming (just phone calls) so I use a 3rd party device that brings BT in via the AUX port, but the fix is the same. I'm pretty sure that audio streaming was introduced in MY2012.

The AUX input is located on the back of the center console, facing the 2nd row seats.

pabs406

Reaction score
You guys are the greatest. My wife and I were going crazy. We had no idea that there was a drop down menu under My Music.

Now is there a way to play videos while the car is in drive?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While we are on this subject, does anyone else find that the bluetooth signal is kind of weak? I normally carry my iPhone in the left, front pocket of my pants, but if I try to play music from it there the music starts skipping and buffering. I have to take my phone out and put it somewhere in the center console.

I have never had that problem in any other vehicle.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old phone (a Droid Turbo) used to do that often, even with the handset placed in the cupholder 10" away from the radio. Normally, turning BT off and back on in the phone settings would fix the "stuttering" issue and result in a steady connection. Haven't had any such problems since switching to a newer Galaxy S7 Edge, though. So, I think it may be a phone compatibility thing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72