brake job cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She said yes, they eat brakes cause they are heavy vehicles. I was thinking to myself, that Ive driven 5k lbs domestics for years and brakes were never "eaten". Evidently, LR needs to get this resolved.

Did they brake as well? I know guys who owned older suburbans spoke of how horrifically bad their brakes were.

My old '90 190E 2.6 had excellent braking with small brakes. The downside? It consumed them at a ridiculous rate. And that car weighed 3000lbs. Oh and the pads and disks wore out at the same time, so no chance of replacing just pads.

I'm not saying I'm happy with the situation. I think LR could do better. But shy of enormous brakes that would cost more and increase unsprung weight, there is only so much LR can do with such a heavy car without degrading performance.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they brake as well? I know guys who owned older suburbans spoke of how horrifically bad their brakes were.

My old '90 190E 2.6 had excellent braking with small brakes. The downside? It consumed them at a ridiculous rate. And that car weighed 3000lbs. Oh and the pads and disks wore out at the same time, so no chance of replacing just pads.

I'm not saying I'm happy with the situation. I think LR could do better. But shy of enormous brakes that would cost more and increase unsprung weight, there is only so much LR can do with such a heavy car without degrading performance.

They do brake well for their size and the 4 improved upon the 3 with larger rotors/pads. It is extremely frustrating how quickly they eat eat brakes, we tend to go through a set of pads at least every 15-18k miles (mix of city and highway.) Rotors can last about twice that long if you stay on top of dealers and check rotor thickness rather than going with their default "you have to replace rotors with pads..."

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know your right they did upsize them

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No braking problems to report. I think the only brakes and rotors I've ever had to replace was on a 2004 expedition at 6 years old a 110k miles. They were worn to the nubbins. It cost me right at $700 for all new pads, rotors and labor.
Most of my vehicles get sold or traded off within 3 or 4 years. I kept one F150 that I bought new until it hit 75k, never changed the brakes pads on it or on anything except that Expy. I've towed a 4k boat several times a summer with all my 'Utes and trucks since 2004 as well.

I mean we're looking at every 15-18k, for the LR4...I guess for me that would be roughly every year. Damn.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that people are still complaining about the longevity of the brakes. We all did our research prior to buying a LR, we all knew the facts. There are other vehicles with brakes lasting longer, bushings that never need to be replaced and electronics that work but this is not the case with the LR4. So what?! It's a vehicle, it will cost money to maintain. You can't keep complaining about it.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that people are still complaining about the longevity of the brakes. We all did our research prior to buying a LR, we all knew the facts. There are other vehicles with brakes lasting longer, bushings that never need to be replaced and electronics that work but this is not the case with the LR4. So what?! It's a vehicle, it will cost money to maintain. You can't keep complaining about it.

I'm not complaining. Im doing research. Havent bought yet. :bootyshak

LOMartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any issues with voiding a warranty if non-OEM pads are used?

I have CPO 2012 lr4.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72