Brake light stays on/headlight went out/computer not working/etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dankdistrict

Reaction score
ok, i recently just purchased a 2003 range rover. everything was working fine. the electric, radio, etc. it didnt come with a nav cd so i purchased the latest edition from navtec 2007 series cds. i put in a cd, everything still seemed to work fine (had it working for days). im mentioned this because this was the only difference i made to the vehicle before the storm struck.

this morning, my range rover rear brake lights were on and no one was pushing the pedal. the engine/ignition wouldn''t turn. all the lights were on so there was power. but nothing. so i figured from passed experiences on different cars its related to a fuse or the electrical. so i pulled out the "on board computer/audio system" fuse to get to the "brake lights" fuse right next to it. the brake lights turn off. i put back the brake lights fuse, still off. i put in the computer/audio fuse and the brake lights turns on again. so i take out the computer/audio fuse and try to see if it starts. it does! so problem somewhat solved other than a the computer/audio fuse is still out. i needed to get somewhere so i drove off. checked all the lights, turn signals, etc before i went, turned on the headlights, the passenger light went out. "check low beam light" appeared on the dash.

got to my destination and turned it off.. and when i got back, it started up.. but now the turn signals didnt work. atleast on the dash it was not showing up. i checked outside and they work, just not on the dash. i put back the computer/audio fuse and the brake lights stay off this time but the computer isnt working. i also took out the nav cd because thats the only thing i''ve done in the last couple days that was different or new to the vehicle.

so as of right now, the rear brake lights are working again (not sure if taking the fuse out and in just reset whatever was wrong), the headlight is out (checked bulb - its still good), the dash turn signals arent working, the computer/audio and radio do not work (it turns on with the logo then turns off shortly after)...any thoughts to why the brake lights stayed on and wouldnt start? why the headlight is out? why the computer/radio isnt working now??

thanks for any feedback!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Have your battery checked.

tonypppr

Reaction score
Hi there, just interested whether you have had any feedback on your problem with the brake lights as im having simular problems as well.
here is what i have posted.
many thanks tony
range rover 04 vogue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there to one and all, hope the year improves for us all.
Can anyone help me out there?. i have taken my range rover vogue into westover for a minor repair on the electric seat (drivers side) valance and whilst it was there i asked them to look at the computer/cd computer screen as since they had it in 2 weeks prior it had realised this fault, of corse they deny this as their problem, anyway on getting a bill for £200 pound and about to leave i was told by the way your brake lights are on all the time thought we bettter advise you, so on inspection of the car i realised that not only did they expect me to drive the car away with the brake lights permantly on, they also left the ****** disabled the complete steering wheel funcions and illuminations also not working, but the lcd screen situated beneath the speedo was very bright on the lefthand side and the right hand side very dim.
they realised that they had better not allow me to drive the vehicle as i explained that if i was to have an accident i would be holding then responsible, so they loaned me a car.
The following afternoon they rang and said after 5 hours of having my car there that the fuse number 8 was the fuse that was making the brake lights stay on and the steering wheel functions disabled and the faulty sreen, well i am 100% sure that blowing a fuse will definately not do this and i have been informed that they have probably blew something on one of the ecu:s or the components behind the speedo.
The reason i am concerned is that if they have done a repair on one of these components, and it should play me up at some time later then they are going to deny all knowledge of this and im going to get stuck with a bill with many noughts.
So please is there a range rover technician out there who can asist?.
Or have one of you range rover owners ever had this falut?.
So to reiterate.
THE BRAKE LIGHTS ARE ON WHENEVER THE KEY IS ENGAGED.
THE STEERING WHEEL ILLUMINATIONS ARE NON EXISTANT AS ARE ANY OF THE STEERING WHEEL FUNCTIONS.
THE DISPLAY UNDER THE SPEEDOMETER IS BRIGHT GREEN ON THE LEFT AND REALLY DIM ON THE RIGHT.
YOU WONT NEED TO TELL ME AS I ALREADY SUSPECT THAT NUMBER 8 WILL NOT CAUSE THIS.
BUT I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHAT HAS.
MANY THANKS FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE IN THIS MATTER
TONY.
[email protected]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM