Breakaway Front Differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had my front differential replaced by the Landrover dealer because it was leaking, when I got it back I noticed a new clunk on the accel/decel transition. It wasn't too bad and when I contacted the dealer to get it back in they told me they were very busy and couldn't take a look that day but possibly later in the week. I wasn't too concerned, the clunk wasn't that bad....

Until yesterday after leaving the Overland expo in Prescott AZ we decided to take the Senator Highway to Crown King grab a drink and see the sights (Crown King is an old west style VERY small town) and continue on back to Phoenix. On the way there the clunk was getting progressively worse and we thought it might be a good idea to make a visual inspection to see if we could figure it out. It didn't take much inspecting to see that the entire front diff was loose and rocking up & down about 4"!! The three plated silverish bolts were almost ready to fall out, it took about three turns to remove one of em. With no wrench to tighten them, I screwed them back in only finger tight... didn't really matter though because whatever those bolts attach to was moving too. There must be other brackets or mounts to locate the diff but with no tools I couldn't pull the skid plate down to inspect further. It moved enough to pull the breather hose off, and presumably introduce dirt to the inside of the housing.

The Senator Highway is a maintained dirt road that that could easily be traversed with any stock 4x4 and most 2wd trucks. Probably not by a tow truck though, so we called LR roadside assistance and had a flatbed dispatched to Crown King. It ended up being pretty good timing, we got there in time to grab a couple drinks before he arrived and loaded the LR3 on the bed. It was an extremely long ride back because the dirt road between CK and the highway has fairly heavy washboarding and tow trucks aren't known for their smooth ride! When all was said & done the tow company charged me $228 to get the LR back to the dealer. Long day.

So, my question is what should I expect the dealer to do for me considering they were negligent in properly installing the diff and certainly endangered myself and my passengers. Who knows what would have happened if the thing would have completely let go on the highway! Could have been catastrophic.

Photos and video to follow shortly...

cdodkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was that LR Scottsdale?

I'd immediately let LRNA know, then contact the dealership manager, and tell them you've reported the issue, and will be looking to them for a suitable resolution and compensation.

Explain it's not just a technical issues, but a customer satisfaction issue.

See what they come back with.

Might be worth contacting the local BBB as well - they may have some excellent advice on correctly reporting and documenting the issue.

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cdodkin, Thanks for the suggestions. LRNA is closed today, but I'll certainly contact them tomorrow morning. I hadn't thought about the BBB, I think they only help resolve disputes, which hopefully wont be needed in this case. Would be worth a call to chat with them though.

I don't want to publicly identify the dealership who changed the differential.

craiglud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Jeff,

I was just up there this weekend too. I have been getting service from the North Scottsdale dealer and I have so far been pleased with their service. In fact I just dropped it off today for them to replace the bushings and look at squeaky AC blower. Keep us updated on they progress.

BTW, that Crown King run is great. There is also a back way to CK that is much more interesting! I have not had time to do it yet but it's on the list!

Craig

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would ask for full reimbursement, including the towing. There is no reason for the diff to come loose like that if was properly installed. BTW I had my front diff go last December, was just out of warranty. Called LRNA and the footed the bill for the replacement. It pays to call them and persist with a call every few days/once a week to stay on it-

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spoke with the dealer briefly yesterday, they had no problem paying the tow bill and said the diff must have worked its way loose. The service writer said they normally use thread locker on the mounting bolts but must not have in this case.

I asked them about the diff breather hose being torn off and what the possibility of damage is... I didn't exactly get a straight answer, he wasn't being evasive but wanted to get the car washed up before putting up on the lift and inspecting things. So what are your thoughts about the open path for dirt, dust, and water through the breather on the differential? There are a number of water crossings on the senator highway between Prescott & Crown King. I know it won't fail immediately and probably not anytime soon, but what about 50k mi. down the road? I feel like they should either replace the diff or give me some sort of guarantee that they will repair it free of charge if it ever does fail. The other thing is the CV's, with the diff able to move up & down like that the possibility of overextending the joints is reasonable. Is there any way to inspect the joint for overextension? I'm going to try to get over there after lunch today so I'll hopefully have more info & photos this evening.

Craig, the back way to CK is a semi regular ride for me on my motorcycle or Rhino, I tried it in the LR and got stuck about 5mi. from the top. It was dark, raining and I have 19's with street tires :) I think it will make it when its either dry or I have some better tires. I was seriously impressed though, I wouldn't have thought it would do as well as it did! The tires & wheels did suffer a bit... oh well, its not a Ferrari.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely get the Diff drained and filled at the very least, glad they are stepping up to resolve this, I figured they would, its pretty obviously their fault.

Team Jeff, did I meet you at OvExpo? I was there also. I met a guy with white LR3, but I thought he was from NorCal.

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick update...

The service manager drained the front diff in front of me, the fluid was very dark, neither he or I knew if the color was acceptable but we agreed it should be filled, drained, filled and run on the lift, then drained and filled again. They agreed to give me something in writing guaranteeing they would repair if there was a premature failure of the drive axles or diff. At this point I think it's fair and they have responded professionally to my requests & concerns.

Nathan, that was not me you met in Prescott.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo