Bumping noise thru front end / steering wheel & TSBs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After researching the TSBs I have a question, may be a stupid one but nonetheless her it is.

1) Should I be asking the dealer to make sure ALL of the TSBs are done, logically I would think they would do them with no complaints.

2) I am still experiencing a bumping noise form the front end or at least I think it is from the front end, I can feel it thru the steering wheel. They did install the front arm bushing kit, yet I can still feel and hear it. I know there is a TSB out there that says something needs to be replaced in the steering column, TSB # 21102…
Has anyone had this problem and did the TSB correct the problem.

3) I have found about 12 TSBs is that about the correct number that have been issued.

Thanks

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a rare dealer that will do all the TSB's ever, and NONE will do it all at once. With TSB work, they are limited to what they can bill, and it works out to be pretty close to what it costs them, so there's not much incentive for them to perform the service.

Took me about 2 years and 4 dealers to get it all done.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they don't generally to TSB work unless the problem/issue is being observed by the customer, technician or both.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have an older D3 it may be the steering rack causing the knock. I had the same issue, after my dealer replaced front bushings and it didn't help, they agreed to replace my steering rack which cured the knock. There is a TSB for the steering rack issue for early build D3's. I would print it out and bring it to the dealer.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would that TSB be the one I referenced in the original note, TSB # 21102...

I have a 2005 LR3.. 28500mi

TNRover

Reaction score
If you have an older D3 it may be the steering rack causing the knock. I had the same issue, after my dealer replaced front bushings and it didn't help, they agreed to replace my steering rack which cured the knock. There is a TSB for the steering rack issue for early build D3's. I would print it out and bring it to the dealer.

I just had the same issue as well. I noticed a knocking sound when going over bumps at a slow speed (like turning into a driveway.) The dealer replaced both front bushings and it is still doing it. Where can I print a copy of the TSB to take to my dealer? I am nearing my 50K miles and need to get this taken care of ASAP! Thanks!!!

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just found this on disco3.uk.com

Models: LA - Discovery 3 LS - Range Rover Sport Title: FAQ 22241 - Steering light knock over bumps. Engineer Name: Townsend, Ken Last Modified: 24-APR-06 Category: Chassis Symptom: 303000 Steering/Handling Content: User will report light knock over bumps. Some will show slight free play in steering. Cause is LOWER steering shaft (Under bonnet) NOT the steering rack. With vehicle static engine off check for free play in steering aprox +/- 3 degrees, with gentle input. Also some vehicles may exhibit a light knock on uneven surfaces between 10 to 15 mph. If the shaft is the cause please use new part number QMN500240 (RHD) or QMN500250 (LHD) to repair as this has improved characteristics for noise. Part was introduced to production at L319 - LA390436 L320 - LS956379. If shaft does not resolve knocking noise please submit an EPQR and contact dealer technical support.*____________

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also have them inspect the lower ball joints up front. LR released a new more robust ball joint in 2008. I've got an '05 and my dealer told me last week the ball joints are shot. They've replaced my front bushes and steering rack. That cured the knock on the steering wheel. I still have a little play/clonk (1% of what it was) so I presume its the front lower ball joints. Also, have your dealer do this cheap and easy shim work it will tighten everything up: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic30622.html

TNRover

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am calling the dealer today to get it scheduled. I checked the last service paperwork and they actually replaced both front ball joints last time in. They said the driver side one was really worn. Good to hear I now have a more robust set of joints. I will have them start with the lower steering shaft. Hopefully they will do the shims as well.

I love this forum!!!

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the part #'s for the ball joints they replaced to make sure they put in the updated parts. In the event that they used the earlier version (50/50 they did) make sure to point out to your dealer so when they fail again in 20,000 miles you can get them replaced for free (prior unresolved issue).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nico3dd