Car wash on rails or 100% hand wash only?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it fine to take the LR3 to a regular car wash where they attach it to the rails for the automated wash and then wipe it up? Would it damage the wheels? Or shall I go for a 100% hand wash?

My wheels are dirty. A storm is supposed to be coming every day now in LA but nothing yet.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 3 is too delicate for the urban jungle

I only wash my 3 myself, mostly in a wand wash, and in the summer with a rag and water hose - which works the best.

I am even afraid of the spray only type of car wash where a water spray framework moves over the 3 while one sits parked in the 3.

Just too much can go wrong - the glass roof getting beat up by the front wipers that were ripped off because one forgot that the rain sensor circuit was active; the rear wiper also beating out the rear glass; water being forced into the tranny computer or water dumping into the HVAC hole, and the list goes on.

For being a go anywhere type of vehicle, that does not seem to include an automatic car wash; I guess it likes the wilds; the urban jungles are just too tough for it.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use,one on occasion, never had a problem. Doesn't do as good of a job as I would by hand. Mainly I will do it in the winter when I want to wash the salt off the undercarriage. Like BByer said, check your wipers!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used a coin-up powerwash for roverman's purpose. I always wash mine by hand, myself. No one else touches it! I use Zaino products and it takes me hours to do a basic wash/polish.

Sounds over-the-top, I know....but oh if you saw my paint (and touched it) afterwards. :)

It's all worth it.

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Touchless...

The touchless ones are okay for a quick wash, I usually will bring a chamois or towel with me and dry it off as soon as it comes out of the car wash. When I want it to be washed thoroughly I'll wash it at home with my power washer or get a professional detail inside and out. :) Here's a pic of my LR3 after my first professional detail.

Attachments

• IMG_6414.jpg
    IMG_6414.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 44

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great!

Here's mine after a personal detail.

Attachments

• March 15 Detail.jpg
    March 15 Detail.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 36

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great Houm!!! And yours is free minus the products. I get my details for free with trade for advertising in a local magazine I publish. On a another note, what kind of rock sliders do you have?

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take mine to the car wash on rails 90% of the time no problem at all really...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mx. Yeah free minus product and price of beer...and I really enjoy doing it. Those are Rover Specialties rock sliders. I think that photo was from back in early March, when I still had my stock-sized Nokians on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635