Changing ps pump and steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NEPAROVER

Reaction score
I have a 2000 disco 2, and will be changing out the power steering pump and steering gear box. I have a video that shows the removal and installation of the pump, and it shows the tools but you can not tell what size the tools are and was wondering if someone could let me know exactly what size tools I need to do the pump and the steering gear box.

Also I am a little confused looking at the rave manual about the steering box removal. Do I need to remove the side panel on the drivers side to access the box better or can it be disconnected and installed entirely underneath the vehicle? The manual also mentions a stabilizing bolt to be placed in the steering box before and after removal. Where do I get this bolt? I take it that I center the vehicle's front wheels, lock the steering wheel, and the bolt is to centralize the box when pulled, is this so I can then match up how the other one needs to be lined up before it gets put in and that I put in the centralizing bolt to the one going in so everything lines up? Also will an alignment need to be done after swapping them out?

The other one that is going in all ready has the pitman arm on it as it is a salvage part so just curious as to what I need to know about getting the box in and out correctly. I do not find the diagrams in the rave manual or descriptions being detailed enough. I am going to be doing all of this next weekend so any help between now and then would be great! Thanks!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, how many miles on the D2 and why are you changing out the gear box also?

NEPAROVER

Reaction score
160,000 and I am changing out the box because fluid pours out of the top of it, not from the hoses but from where it seals together. I would simply like to know what tools I need please. I am changing the pump because it is burned out. No offense but I would simply like my questions answered instead of being questioned.

Edit: I do not mean to sound harsh or indifferent, I quit smoking yesterday and so far it seems everything tends to set me off when it shouldn't.

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always like to make sure someone is not wasting their money.\Down load a free copy of a Rave CD, shop manual, that will walk you thru this. As for tools, nothing special other the the fan wrench.

NEPAROVER

Reaction score
Thank you Disco Mike, however I actually have to go out and buy tools as my former room mate who had tools has moved out and I need to know what to buy. I should have been more specific. I realize there are tool kits but a lot of times they have things I will never use. I need to know the socket range I need to be looking for.

I am not worried about the fan tool as I can pull it without pulling the fan off, I just pull the pulley from the pump and can get it out that way. I have found the rave manual lacks details and the drawings for the most part are a general indication and are not detailed enough, especially compared to a haynes manual which I am used to but obviously does not cover a Disco.

The Disco will be jacked up in front and put on 2 separate 6 tonne stands.
In your opinion would it be better to remove the box first and replace or the pump or will it matter since both are being replaced at the same time?
Also I still need information on the centralizing pin, where to find or what is used if I am using a bolt that is currently on the vehicle.

also does that side access panel on the drivers side have to come off to remove the box or can it be done entirely from underneath? Also I have been told that the steering box is about 60 pounds, any tips on what to use to help hold it in place until it is bolted back in? I would assume a jack, but I have learned with Rovers, not to assume.

In your opinion would the easiest way to bleed the system simply be to unattach the return hose from the box to the reservoir, and put the end of the hose in a container and keep pouring fluid into the reservoir? Both parts are salvage, pump and box and are warrantied but I want to flush them once on. Thank you for any and all help Disco Mike or whomever can answer my questions.

I plan on doing an entire write up as well as post images to help anyone in the future.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a shop manual or Rave cd, if so follow their direction, it is pretty straight forward.
Make sure you check the p/s lines for wear or leaks.

NEPAROVER

Reaction score
Why is it that 90% of the time when someone asks for information that the only reply is check the manual? The manual tells me nothing about where to obtain or what to use as the centralizing bolt. Are The majority of Land Rover do it your selfers lazy and so afraid they are going to give away some big secret?
I have found not a single Land Rover forum any help, so I think I will trade this pos and go back to driving a CJ, especially since the people in the numerous Jeep forums are actually willing to help and answer a simple question(s) instead of pretending to know what they are talking about and honestly do not have a clue. Please ban me from this forum and delete my account.

Actually I take back what I typed about every forum, it seems that forums that are specifically British in origin help each other and do not answer every question with download the rave cd, the rave is the most useless manual for repairing a vehicle I have every come across. Land Rover should never have sold vehicles to this country because the majority of people that have them are idiots, myself included for buying one and for thinking that this community would be helpful in fixing my ********* vehicle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9