Charging System Fault...Red Triangle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UtahLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Charging System Fault...Red Triangle (Water pump pulley failure)

Pulling into the garage last night the LR4 started to overheat and threw a charging system fault warning with the red triangle and battery icons lit up. Shut er down within seconds as I was literally backing into the garage. Let it cool off overnight and this morning she started no worries but there's no power steering. Threw the Schumacher on the truck to see where the battery was as far as a charge was concerned and she's low as hell. 2016 with 2042 miles on it. My normal commute since taking ownership has been 35 miles on mostly freeway at 70+ mph so it's confusing as to why the battery would be so low.

She seems to be taking a charge ok now so I'm gonna try and limp her into the dealership.

Attachments

• 10751674-2fe0-47f6-a19c-bbea9751e471.jpeg
    10751674-2fe0-47f6-a19c-bbea9751e471.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a bad serpentine belt.....overheating, loss of charge, power steering failure...all components driven by the belt.

UtahLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upon further investigation you can see a massive wobble on the belt as it traverses some unidentifiable pulley when the engine is running. Road Side Assistance is en route to pick it up. As an aside the battery took a full charge so it's def not a battery issue.

UtahLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Status...officially a LR owner now. Loaner LR4 has the V8...it's not very refined but it def gets out of it's own way better. Pretty annoyed with the whole scenario but Land Rover of Salt Lake City has been superb to deal with thus far. Hopefully that doesn't change.

Attachments

• image1 (2).JPG
    image1 (2).JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 42

UtahLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please let us know what pulley it was.

Will do. Service Manager was just as curious as you or I and I asked him to take some pics of what they find when they pull the front off. Hopefully he does. Regardless I'll report back as soon as I know anything. Being a Saturday they might not get to it until Monday as they close at 1 and only had two techs working today.

UtahLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Word form the dealer is that the pulley on the water pump failed. Will require a new water pump and serpentine belt. Parts are being overnighted in so hopefully I have the truck back by Wed.

In other news...holy crap is it expensive to go from the long roof rails to the short ones required for the ProSpeed rack.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe that they still haven't figured out the water pump. They continue to install these faulty ones on MY16?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In other news...holy crap is it expensive to go from the long roof rails to the short ones required for the ProSpeed rack.

I wish you were closer to the DC area (or vice versa)...I might make you an offer on the long rails (esp if they're black finish)...good luck with the ProSpeed install.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM