Check engine light question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdot rover

Reaction score
In the past 2-3 weeks the CEL has been turning and staying on for a few hours up to a full day. Called an independent shop and the technician said he can't diagnose unless the light stays on. So I've never gotten a chance to bring it to him.

The truck drives fine so I can't even guess as to why it comes on.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

uoflcardfan77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is a weak battery you're probably going to get the battery indicator light coming on. Take it to an Autozone and they can read the codes with an OBDII reader. If your CEL is coming on it is storing a code in the ECU. That can be retrieved even if it is not on at the time the codes are scanned. That will tell you what the codes are and you can Google them to find out more. You'll end up at some time needing to address the root cause of the codes.

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My trail buddy had a CEL on his truck, I was unable to get codes from it unless the CEL was on.

Turns out he had to replace an injector, but his CEL was accompanied by a rough running motor.

I would imagine if your CEL is on for hours at a time that you would have time to plug a scanner into it.

I bought a ****** OBDII scanner online for a few bucks. It doesn't talk all the Rover language, but it will read enough codes to make it useful. Maybe try that.

tdot rover

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I don't know of any autozone here in Toronto, Canada. I will look into that. In regards to an OBDII Scanner, which is highly recommended for land rovers?

johnsoax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIDTool or Faultmate have Rover specific code readers that also do so much more.

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tdot, you're in Toronto? ( I should have looked at your nick)

Come by and borrow mine!

The standard OBDII tools are very basic on our trucks. As Johnsoax pointed out the IID's or fault mates are much, much, leagues better.

Mine is just a regular old one, but it's still useful for reading codes, and super useful when I was reading Coolant temps when I had tstat trouble.

Wont' read things like trans temp though

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I solved mine by changing the air filter, I guess the old one was clogged. You could try that...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635