Check Engine Light stays on, any input?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

Sodium

Hey everyone,

I was driving home yesterday and I noticed that the check engine light came on and stayed on. Called up service at 7:30am this morning and asked if I could bring it in, but they said they were backed up and could not give me a loaner... I am going to call back and make some noise about this with the service manager or just show up to the dealer in a little bit. The manual states that the emissions system of the engine has been comprimised if the light stays on. If the light blinks, its the catalytic converter. The service rep this morning stated that it was no big problem and that the truck was still ok to drive. The truck is 4 weeks old and has about 1000 miles on it. Whats your take on this? Similar occurences anyone?

J

jackmac

The dealer needs to read your codes do diagnose. However, one possibility is a loose gas cap. Suggest you remove and then re-tighten the gas cap and it may clear the check light - takes up to 24 hours to clear. Did you happen fill with gas yesterday before the light came on? (OK, with an LR3 that is a given :)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sodium

Yeah I think my wife may have taken the truck out for gas yesterday, and she said the car was obviously not running when it was being filled up. I already checked and re-tightened the gas filler cap. I didnt know it took 24 hours to clear however, thats just weird. How did you figure out that it took 24 hours for the light to go off, did you have the same problem after filling up with gas? Anyhow, I just dropped off the beast at the dealer, got an LR3 loaner.

N

NHESS81

Codes clear when they do not occur after a certain amount of ignition on/ignition off cycles. If the cap was indeed your culprit, then I would imagine that that particular code would not be stored in the memory long, just because it is not a real issue and likely will be fixed so soon anyway. Engine codes are a special breed. I had both the Check and Service engine lights on my Disco1, and cleared them once, but they came back, then I cleared again, and no more. It was a BS code about the o2 sensor too rich or something. Hope the dealer gives you a reason at least, and not, a I dont know what it was. But dont let them start replacing parts that they dont even know caused the problem. One thing I know is that the less you can have these wrench monkeys tooling around, the less things they break. Get some tools and work on it yourself--you know, the things you CAN work on, we all have limits. Good luck fixin her!

J

jackmac

Sodium, please post the diagnosis when you get "the beast" back. I've had similar experience, yes.

Best not to let the wifey fill it! (j/k)

C

CoreyS

I've also had two instances of the check engine light staying on. Once at ~3000mi, just after the wifey filled it up. I retightened the gas cap and the light went away after a few starts. It happened again at ~6500mi, with about 1/4 tank left, so it wasn't just after a fillup (actually, I was 200yds from pulling into a gas station anyway!). I went on like normal, and the light went away after a few starts, again.

I'll mention it when I take it in for the 7500mi service (prolly in a couple weeks).

S

Sodium

I received a call from my service dept yesterday, she stated that many of the '06 LR3's were having this problem, where the engine light comes up and stays on, when nothing actually seems wrong. The verdict was that NOTHING was actually mechanically wrong with the truck. It is a software issue. LRNA is aware of the problem and when the new software fix comes in, they will call me and let me know. Other than that, it was just a waste of time bringing it into the dealer...

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sodium said:
I received a call from my service dept yesterday, she stated that many of the '06 LR3's were having this problem, where the engine light comes up and stays on, when nothing actually seems wrong. The verdict was that NOTHING was actually mechanically wrong with the truck. It is a software issue. LRNA is aware of the problem and when the new software fix comes in, they will call me and let me know. Other than that, it was just a waste of time bringing it into the dealer...

I have an '05 LR3 with the same issue. It is common on all the new Rovers. Software fix is supposed to be on the way...the faulty engine light on my truck (and others) is related to the software reading the o2 sensors. As long as it isn't flashing, I keep driving.

I hope LR develops hand held diagnostic tools soon. The tech should be able to walk out to the car and pull fault codes in a few seconds. Shouldn't require a service appointment and a day in the shop just to check fault codes and clear the ECU of codes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635