Child Safety Seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2005 SE7, I have to press a button on both headrest stems. One is the usual one for raising the headrest, the other is smaller and needs small fingers or an implement. And you also have to pull up. It is easiest for me with someone helping.

goinsurfin

Reaction score

Here is my guy sleeping in his seat at 2 months. He's now 4 months and loves road trips.

We chose the Britax decathalon b/c it will hold him up to 65 lbs. I was not interested in buying multiple seats and did not care for car seat carrier type system.

Another one suggest is the Britax Boulevard. It has head restraints on each side. Very cool. Also as mentioned, the latch system is so easy to mount. However, you can only mount 2 car seats in the LR3 with the latch system.

The BEST seat cover we found is the Prince Lionheart 2 stage seat cover. comes in 3 colors and sells for $20. Babies R us has them. Regardless of which baby seat you choose, this pad will save your seats. It is tough enough to not create car seat dents when you crank down the seat...

Congrats to the new dads!

Ok, How do I add photos to this message???

Last edited:

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats and the perfect truck to have with boys. I have three, with #4 due soon. Britax is awesome. Dealing with many seats for many years, and we swear by Britax now. All safety seats have to meet minimum standards by law. In essence, technically, there isn't one safer than another if you buy both of them new.

Generally, the Britax last longer, look better longer, are tough, are easier to install, and most importantly, are comfortable for your kids. For instance, I have a one year old Graco and a one year old Britax. When my son sat in my truck on the Graco, he would complain after about 10min his "bottom hurt." Wife's Odyssey had the Britax all around. Never a complaint, ever.

Do yourself a favor, get the Britax regardless of a price differential. You will not be disappointed. . .

(Let me get this straight. . .they did a comparison of the car seats but knowingly did not install the Britax correclty, yet installed the others correctly and thought that was ok? Gosh, I bet any vehicle can out perfrom every Land Rover if you knowlingly put Red Bull in the gas tank of the Land Rovers and normal gas in the gas tank of all other trucks. . .)

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(Let me get this straight. . .they did a comparison of the car seats but knowingly did not install the Britax correclty, yet installed the others correctly and thought that was ok? Gosh, I bet any vehicle can out perfrom every Land Rover if you knowlingly put Red Bull in the gas tank of the Land Rovers and normal gas in the gas tank of all other trucks. . .)

No - clearly they were tested in the correct way. However, even when tested in the intended way the Britax still did not pass all of the crash tests, whereas the Snugride did. The reason it got the lower rating has to do with two reasons:

1. It didn't pass all of the crash tests (as you can imagine, Consumer Reports typically tests things more fully than the minimum required by law).
2. It was apparently more complicated to use - which increases the risk that it won't be used correctly.

Obviously a number of people have chosen to use the Britax and I have no doubt it is a good seat. However, based on what is available today, and based on several independant reviews (including Consumer Reports, Baby Bargains, etc) the Graco Snugride appears to be the best choice available today (at least as far as I'm concerned).

-Rich

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2 month old myself and the LR is extremely easy to install/remove the base from. Great system. We went with the Chico system (bases, seat, stroller). Works fine, well reviewed.

My only issue is that with the rear facing seat installed in the car the front seat has to be pretty far forward. Enough so that a long legged person would have their knees jammed against the glove box. That is unfortunate and I am surprised there isn't more space.

I did see one LR3 that had the car seat/base installed in the middle seat in the rear. I'm guessing this is to get rid of the problem I mentioned above. However, there are no LATCH connections that I can find in the center seat, so I guess I'd have to use the seat belt attachment. Which, works fine but is less convenient to pull the base in and out which I do often.

Any other thoughts or solutions on this you have come up with?

spatterso

Reaction score
I read an article where the dealer installed LATCH connectors to the middle seat on request for a person. They have worked well for her. I am considering this option also.

here is the page. It's the post titled "Mom who owns LR3", 3rd post from top.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=5314

Hope this helps.

DonA

Reaction score
I did see one LR3 that had the car seat/base installed in the middle seat in the rear. I'm guessing this is to get rid of the problem I mentioned above. However, there are no LATCH connections that I can find in the center seat, so I guess I'd have to use the seat belt attachment. Which, works fine but is less convenient to pull the base in and out which I do often.

If you have only one child seat it is recommended you install it in the middle seat because of better protection from side impact. Obviously installing on one side or the other gives the child a 50/50 chance of being on the same side as the hit and closer to the impact area. :ahhhhh:

I've been told, in theory using a standard seatbelt install should perfom no differant than using the LATCH system if properly done. However the LATCH system is generally easier to connect and less likely to be done wrong, which is its intent.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read an article where the dealer installed LATCH connectors to the middle seat on request for a person. They have worked well for her. I am considering this option also.

here is the page. It's the post titled "Mom who owns LR3", 3rd post from top.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=5314

Hope this helps.
Interesting post. I may ask the dealer just to humor myself, but I can't see them installing a child safety restraint at the dealership?!?!? I have to think there would be some liability issues there that they would not want to get involved with, if, their work failed during an accident or something. Is the LATCH system just standard parts that they can install as an option on any of the seatbelts? (3rd seat included?)

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting post. I may ask the dealer just to humor myself, but I can't see them installing a child safety restraint at the dealership?!?!? I have to think there would be some liability issues there that they would not want to get involved with, if, their work failed during an accident or something. Is the LATCH system just standard parts that they can install as an option on any of the seatbelts? (3rd seat included?)
They are just anchor points. I would agree a normal dealer wouldn't want the liability of doing a retrofit mount... but it isn't rocket-science.

Anyway, LATCH really just exists for convenience only and, in theory, makes it easier to not screw up installation.

Note for parents that like using the larger extended age/size seats (instead of switching to a less safe booster at 40 lbs, etc.).... be aware LATCH connectors are rated for 48 lbs at most, so please use that seat belt instead.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112