Click, Click, Click...Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not the battery, you have a bad starter. Simple as that. This happened to me and I went through all the tests you've been through: battery, ground cable, etc., etc., etc. It's simply a bad starter and it will only be fixed when it's replaced. Haven't had an issue since mine was replaced. Had the exact same symptoms as you and they will continue to get worse.

I had to leave mine with the dealership and let the tech drive it home a few times. He got stuck at his house because the car wouldn't turn over on the second day. They had to tow it in. Sometimes there is justice.

Last edited:

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was covered under extended warranty, but the quote on my repair sheet said that the fixed it for $508. It was $326 for the starter part. This is a dealer quote.

MST

Reaction score
Thanks JP - It seems no matter how much you want these issues to be the least costly of all the options, they never work out that way. I will probably bite the bullet next week.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much a shop would charge to simply rebuild the starter. It would seem that just to brushes or solenoid would have to be serviced. I had an alternator rebuilt for $40 bucks once when the replacement was priced at $300. Might be worth a shot if you have a shop near you.

MST

Reaction score
I had the starter replaced last week and have not had a problem since. Total with tax was about $775.00. I guess I will consider that a Christmas present to myself.:frown:

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is yours? I'm just curious if the 2005 models had a bad batch of starters. That's what mine was/is. It's been pretty brutally cold here the last few nights and my new starter turns w/out hesitation. I hated that feeling of whether today would be the day that it didn't turn over on the sixth, seventh or eighth click.

MST

Reaction score
I have a 2006 w/ 90,000 miles. The day I decided to take it in to the dealer, it took 15-20 key turns before it started. It would have been a long tow if it hadn't started.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM