Clunking when accelerating What could it be/

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98GRDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok this may have been asked in the past but i couldn't locate it.
Here is the situation if I stop and then try to accelerate fast i here a clunking sound what seems to be from the front of the vehicle, it also feels like something is loose and shifting when I accelerate. thought it could be motor mount they look fine look at the U-joint there seems to be no problem but there is some play at the transfercase (front shaft). What else might it be?

I have:
2" lift (blocks under spring base)
235/85R16 tires
HD Springs (Military Euro)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could very well be a worn output shaft, or the bearing is on its way out.

tempestv8

Reaction score
Generally speaking, the full time 4x4 driveline on the V8 will have a bit of slop in it, so if you stab the throttle after you've been off throttle, it will induce a clunk. Can't be avoided. Land Rover did not implement "anti shunt" control on the V8 like they did with the diesel TD5 motor.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always thought a bit of 'clunk' in a Landy was a good thing? There are a lot of parts in play between the engine, tranny, transfer case and both shafts to both diffs. Frankly, squeeky tight would scare me that something had seriously gone wrong or seized.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you lube your u-joints at least 2 times a year and one of the output shafts is not warn, then what you are hearing can be very typical Rover clunk.

tempestv8

Reaction score
Mike is absolutely right. There's always some "slop" in a permanent 4x4 system. Other makes also have this trait, so it's normal.

You just learn to depress the accelerator more gently instead of blipping it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM