Compomotive PD 1881 color question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stuart R

Reaction score
This is a bit of an odd and finicky question, but I am on the verge of ordering some compomotive wheels for my Discovery 4, and I am in a bit of a quandary regarding the color. The two no cost choices are satin black or anthracite, or I can pay about sixty dollars more per wheel (I live in Iceland, and our taxes are brutal...it is 30 GBP, but with tax adds up to 60 bucks) for silver.

I was leaning towards the anthracite, but my car is Waitomo grey which is on the darker and browner side of things. I am a little worried that having two different shades of gray on the same vehicle would look a bit off. Considering how much I paid for the car, and how much I will have to pay for the rims, forgive me for being a bit concerned with the aesthetics as well! Has anyone seen the anthracite rims in person and also seen Waitomo grey? Perhaps it is worth paying the extra 300 dollars for silver, or just going for black?? Without seeing them all in person it is hard to say!

Any advice would be helpful.
I am attaching two shots of the car as it is now. The color might be hard to judge since they are evening photos, but this is exactly the problem I am having...the anthracite wheels look different in many of the photos...
In any case, I just got it last week and I have been extremely impressed! I can't wait to get some better tires on it and to take it out once the mountain roads open.

Attachments

• d4-reykjanes-1.jpg
    d4-reykjanes-1.jpg
    669.8 KB · Views: 70
  • d4-reykjanes-2.jpg
    d4-reykjanes-2.jpg
    645 KB · Views: 65

jim6090

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with black. Similar colors can look a bit odd together. Most of the wheels I have seen on the forums are black.

Personally, I like the stock rims with Toyo tires. Mine serves us well. I am sure for extreme offload conditions a more aggressive tire would be better. I do a lot of 80 MPH highway driving. I need quiet more than aggressive offload capabilities.

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most I have seen on the forums are Anthracite, honestly. They can look quite dark out of the sun, especially with brake dust build-up. I love my Anthracites. They are fantastic when cleaned up!

atlantaM3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ditto on Anthracite. looks great on Ipanema Sand....matches the gray trim pieces for the sand and silver colors almost perfectly.

Stuart R

Reaction score
Ok, thanks guys. Don't get me wrong, I am sure the anthracites look really nice, I am just a little worried that the greys might not match well. I am a photographer and printer, so I spend all day looking at color, so I feel like it might drive me nuts. At this point I am leaning a bit towards black since they use black for the other trim pieces (in the grille for example).
Surfrider, is there any chance you have a photo of your rims anywhere?

Jim -- you have a good point about sticking with the stock wheels with better tires. I had considered this, but I think I will be better off with more sidewall...I am not off road all the time, but I do drive in the highlands here on a regular basis and am very often on rutted gravel roads and so on. I already felt like the tires were a bit hard in comparison to the Freelander 2 (LR2) that I had before, which has 235/65R17 tires. The suspension is clearly better in the Discovery, but the wheels seem better in the Freelander. I am hoping the change to the 18's will solve this and make it a bit softer on the bumpier routes. The national speed limit is 55 mph, so I am not exactly worried about performance on autobahn type roads.
The photos below are from the road to the farm I stay at. 8 hours over standard roads and then an hour and a half over gravel. The pass is closed seven months of the year to anything other than giant modified jeeps. The one I was in was a 20 year old Nissan Patrol with air lockers and 38" tires. The photo with the rockslide near the road is taken right next to a several hundred foot drop off the side of a cliff...The farmers tease me by saying "your land rover is not going to get over this!". They are probably right, but they also don't have to drive the next 8 hours on 38" tires and use it to commute! I am looking to get tires that can handle these roads in the spring and fall, as well as some rougher ones in the summer. I am sure the 19 inchers can do most of it, but having a bit more sidewall and a more aggressive pattern will help!

Attachments

• mjoi-road-1.jpg
    mjoi-road-1.jpg
    1,010.8 KB · Views: 49
  • mjoi-road-2.jpg
    mjoi-road-2.jpg
    736.8 KB · Views: 41

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could always consider spacers and LR 18" wheels. Or maybe you have already?

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a shot (not the best light on them) of my Anthracite.

Attachments

• 20150403_161302.jpg
    20150403_161302.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 88

Stuart R

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I finally decided on satin black...it is a bit more aggressive than I had thought, but it will work well with the trim pieces on the vehicle.
As for the LR3 wheels with spacers, it is rather hard to find something like that here in such a small market, and I would rather not have to change the offset too much. From what I have gathered, the compomotives are very good solution, so I decided to just go with them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM