Considering a Temp Spare + Full Spare - Opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen at least 2 carriers that are only ad-on swing arms.

In addition to Front Runner I also see one by Voyager. Anyone have thoughts on either?

Voyager seems to offer one that is a bit lower but doesn't work with sensors which may be Ok with me as I have disabled them. That would give me better visibility. Also,mine one in the picks has a swing bar that goes all the way across the bumper but that looks like it would get in the way. They say they offer an option to go only half way across the bumper many reason not to go that route?

I would not be putting overly large tire on it. Probably just a 265/60R18.

Last edited:

Caber

Reaction score
My old series 3 has its spare on the bonnet. How about trying to fix a rear door mount to the bonnet. I have seen this done on early discoveries for off road work

Caber :)

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old series 3 has its spare on the bonnet. How about trying to fix a rear door mount to the bonnet. I have seen this done on early discoveries for off road work

Hah! I don't think my wife would go along with that on our "newish" 2014 LR4! Even if she didn't mind the look she probably wouldn't be able to see!

I also need to consider that I use a hitch receiver mounted bike rack. Not the swing away type. But I'll need enough clearance to the rear of the mounted tire so that my bike fits.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The problem is the rear door swings down and would be completely unusable. It would have to sit so absurdly high to avoid the bumper on its swing down, you would block the entire rear window. Also, that would make the thing really heavy and unwieldy to try and close! Most trucks that have spares fixed to the rear door swing outward (like a jeep or land cruiser).

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Caber was suggesting to mount the tire on the hood using a mount you'd find from a rear door. It'd be pretty practical - and cool looking - in the Kalahari. Probably look pretty silly at Kroger, lol.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, huge reading failure on my part! I'd think you would block a hell of a lot of visibility with my big 285/60 tire sat on top of the hood (bonnet)!

Caber

Reaction score
I guess it does reduce visibility particularly if you are short, however it is principally pedestrians and cyclists you can't see and they are expendible[emoji50]

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL! Maybe if I get a future Discovery model with the "virtual bonnet" feature. I wonder if it will display pedestrians and cyclists.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72