Coolant leak, see if my explanation makes sense

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkiFastBadly

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Disco.

Last night when I pulled into the garage I heard the a bunch of hissing from under the hood and before I knew it, I had coolant all over the floor and a garage full of steam. I replaced the radiator and water pump less than a year ago. Today I filled the system and started the engine, opened the hood to inspect. I found the leak.

Let's see if I can properly describe this and get a diagnosis.

On top of the engine, there's a large rubber hose connected to what looks like the intake manifold. It's where the throttle cable connects. To the driver's left of that there's a metal component with two small hoses connected, which I assume have something to do with heating the incoming air but I'm no mechanic, so don't let that assumption throw you. The two hoses connect to plate, under the main assembly. It looks to be about an inch wide and several inches long, in this case 'long' being parallel to the length of the vehicle. This plate appears to be fastened from the bottom to the main assembly. The leak is coming from between the plate and the main assembly body. So I'm assuming that this is a gasket failure of some sort.

If all that makes sense, is it something one of you has seen before, and is this a major deal? I mean, I know I shouldn't drive it, but is it something someone can fix on their own or is there some major disassembly required, in which case I have to have it taken in?

Thanks

Craig

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly this is normal and an easy fix. You need to buy an updated gasket kit for the (part sadly has escaped my mind the name of it that is) it is about a 30 minute or so fix. Can be done by almost anyone with tools.

I know Atlantic British carries the part as well as Nathan Crabtree http://www.platinum222.com

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9