Cooper Zeon LTZ Off-Road tires on Stock 19" Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haulin oats

Reaction score
I picked up a set of these in 275/45/20 on some stormer replica wheels. They look really great!

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bromhead - early LR3's (2005 and 2006) could fit the 285/50/20 Cooper LTZ. They then changed the bump stop design on the chassis so there was rubbing turned close to full lock. They kept the same bump stop design on the Lr4's so I order to fit the 285 LTZ you'd have to grind down the bump stop a little bit. Obviously offset comes into play as well. Perhaps a very low offset would allow the tires to fit without any modification.

Thanks for the help. Any idea on the max size for the spare without having to put it on the roof or get a swinging tire hitch?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Any idea on the max size for the spare without having to put it on the roof or get a swinging tire hitch?
Hey Chris,

Someone else could probably give more details, but I do know that the 19" wheel with the 255/55/R19 tire fits up there very snug, so I don't think you could go any larger than the stock tire size. I actually do not think the 18" wheel option fits up there, but I can ask someone in my LR club. One guy I know who has the 18" wheels does not put his spare in the spare tire bay, but rather on the roof. He is looking into getting a swing-away tire holder.

LR4TQ has the 18" wheels, maybe he can comment if the spare tire fits?

-David

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks David. I suspected as much. Just adds to the financial hurdle to justify going to 18 wheels...2k for wheels, 1k for rack or hitch, just to be able to get a larger profile tire, and perhaps a different brand, than the 255/55/19 coops...it really is a different world once they came out with those tires.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks David. I suspected as much. Just adds to the financial hurdle to justify going to 18 wheels...2k for wheels, 1k for rack or hitch, just to be able to get a larger profile tire, and perhaps a different brand, than the 255/55/19 coops...it really is a different world once they came out with those tires.
I agree, Chris! Things were quite a bit different before Cooper starting making the Zeon LTZs in the 255/55/R19 size, unless you were content with the Pirelli Scorption ATRs (still great tires). I can definitely confirm that the Coopers fit in the spare tire bay, but it's a bit tight. I think anything larger would definitely not fit. You would need to get the swing-away spare tire holder and/or ratchet strap it to the roof rack during certain times (a pain in the a$$ if you ask me). I love the swing-away tire carrier, but I will not jump on that modification until I decide if I am keeping the truck long-term. Apart from the cost, it requires some moderate fabrication/modification for installation.

Also, to speak to the capability of the Coopers, there are plenty of guys with 18" wheels out there who choose these tires, thus, it's not like we are choosing a less than par tire option. For what I do off-road, the Coopers are more than adequate. The one thing I do like about the 18" wheel is the powder-coated black look, though that can be done by buying some 19" wheels cheap (a few hundred dollars from c-list or eBay) and painting them or powder coating them. I love the look, especially with my Nara Bronze LR4, but I will hold off for now.

-David

EGRIZZLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you think most efficient tire pressure for theses Coopers?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you think most efficient tire pressure for theses Coopers?
I had the same question! I have been keeping the tire pressure at the LR manufacturer's suggested PSI (36 front, 42 rear I believe?).

I would love to know if others feel that this should be altered? I asked a representative from Cooper (via an e-mail) and they said to go with my car's recommendations.

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add another LR4 owner to the list of those who went with Cooper Zeon LTZ tires.
Based on Finlayforprez's excellent contribution to the forum on this topic, I ordered the tires from treadepot and had them installed today. I am headed out to Silverton Colorado tomorrow, and will go to some of the many awesome trails there.

I wanted to have a bit more rugged tire for those trails so I went with the Coopers.
I've kept the OEM contis and might switch back for daily use if I find the coopers too noisy for the highway trips.

I also added a full sized spare wheel/tire specifically for this trip.

Safe driving everyone ...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72