CPO LR4 2013 69K miles or 2011 80K miles? Need advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

::danielle::

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I am completely new to these forums. I came across this site while researching the L4. I could really use some advice on purchasing one.

I'm a bit nervous about purchasing a used Land Rover do to their reputation. I thought I'd test drive one to see if I could eliminate them as a potential new-to-me car. Unfortunately, I fell in love.

Here are the specs on each of the L4s that are available to me (in my budget):

2013 LR4 HSE
69,000 miles
One owner
Service record not available
CPO Warranty until 05/2019 or 100,000 miles

2011 LR4 HSE
80,000 miles
One owner
Service record completely available
CPO Warranty until 05/2017 or 100,000 miles

The 2011 is $9,000 less expensive.

To give you an idea of how it will be used, it will mostly spend it's time hauling kids around. The off road features will be only used once a year or so.

My biggest concern is repair costs after the warranty is up. I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions that anyone has to offer!

jim6090

Reaction score
Tough call. They are basically the same vehicle. You might want to keep looking for a lower mileage model. We bought a 2012 last year with 33k miles. That gives you a much longer period with a warranty.

ps. stay away if no service records. Everyone know that is important as a LR owner.

BlueOvalConvert

Reaction score
I thought to be eligible for CPO the car had to be under 50K miles. If you are buying this from the dealership, how does it qualify for CPO? Maybe I missed something.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question if there are indeed one-owner....Perhaps they were dealer demos and by the books are 2nd owner but in reality are one-owner. Once a CPO warranty is on the vehicle it would remain even for a new owner....

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question if there are indeed one-owner....Perhaps they were dealer demos and by the books are 2nd owner but in reality are one-owner. Once a CPO warranty is on the vehicle it would remain even for a new owner....

ah yes, interesting.... something odd there. Has to be that they started out as demo then made into cpo before first private owner.

having only 20,000 - 30,000 miles left on the warranty for me would mean that in 1 year, id' run out of miles. therefor, neither of those would make much sense being so high miles but so many years remaining on cpo. even the 69k one with 4 more years left! wow, i couldn't drive it much at all each year.

oh, about cpo, isn't that a $100 deductible now too? pretty annoying when you could easily go in 10-15 times in 3-4 years over even small crap but then end up paying out $1000-$1500 ! that's BS to me.

i get confused what company is doing what now.

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to say neither as well. That CPO warranty will end too soon on both vehicles. Maybe you can stretch your budget to find a 2012 or 2013 CPO with service records and around 50K miles. There should be plenty coming off a 3-year lease.

Your monthly payments may be more but you will spend less on repairs. Most LR4's will need a majority of the front suspension parts replaced between 70K & 100K miles.

::danielle::

Reaction score
I would have to say neither as well. That CPO warranty will end too soon on both vehicles. Maybe you can stretch your budget to find a 2012 or 2013 CPO with service records and around 50K miles. There should be plenty coming off a 3-year lease.

Your monthly payments may be more but you will spend less on repairs. Most LR4's will need a majority of the front suspension parts replaced between 70K & 100K miles.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Is a CPO worth the extra money? I can find a few 2012 LR4s that have less miles (35-50K) within my budget but they're not CPO. To get a CPO one would cost $6,000 more.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Is a CPO worth the extra money? I can find a few 2012 LR4s that have less miles (35-50K) within my budget but they're not CPO. To get a CPO one would cost $6,000 more.

For $6000, no, because CPO maxes out at 6 years in total whereas a 3rd party warranty will be able to go 8 total years and possibly cost less. Remember, mine was $4500 with 10% tax and a $0 deductible. CPO has a $100 deductible I think and less coverage than some 3rd party warranties.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

well, on second thought, it is good to calculate your own personal mileage vs time period. For me it made sense as much as I drive but if you only drive a little each year, the cpo will run out so soon whereas a 3rd party warranty could last you 2x the years allowing you to get closer to the 100k or at least have more years to decide if you want to keep the vehicle or not as it gets closer to 100k.

Now, do not forget that if you buy a new LR, you can also get an extended warranty from them which is negotiable, buyable from other dealer, buyable right up front, or even later on. It sounds to me like you could benefit from an 8 or 10 year term if available and basically not worry about anything going forward. I would just be sure not to get one with a deductible... The little things can ad up to be a ridiculous premium over 10-20 visits even if they would come to get it for you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90