crankshaft position sensor question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

russburcham

Reaction score
if i replace this sensor, do i need to run testbook or not? thanks for the help!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you replacing your sensor, do you have a code, having starting problems or verified the lack of a signal from it to the ECU?

russburcham

Reaction score
Yes mike, (and thanks for ALL your help btw) I am having starting problems- I was in an earlier post "WILL NOT START IN COLD WEATHER" trying to get help b/c i thought the cold weather was causing my starting problems (cranks but doesn't start)-- if you look in that post, you will find all of the steps that my independant LR guy has tried--to no avail, niw he wants to try to swap out the ECU to see if that may be the culprit, but when i ask him about the crankshaft sensor (advice i've gotten from my friends here) he tells me probably not it--- i've heard that that sensor will not show a code AND can def. cause the truck to not start-- thoughts???

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't swap out ECU's without having the dealer reset them so they can talk to each other.
Why don't you send me your number so I can call you this weekend.

russburcham

Reaction score
Thanks for your offer Mike- I just got this msg today and my mechanic already found a used ECU that had higher mileage on it than mine, but was able to take the mileage processor/chip part out so that it still thinks its the original- apparantly, the physical casing at the plug-in area was melted/charred a bit, so he swapped out those areas and salvaged "my" integral parts/chips, but he still had to reprogram some of it...does this make sense? he also said he was getting a persistant code of: 1118 and it went away after he swapped it out. He says that he saved me big $ by doing this, and that a brand new ECU would've set me back about $1700.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112