Current X5 owner looking at LR4 - Question about RSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drtyksh

Reaction score
Greetings!

I am a current BMW X5 4.4i owner and have recently taken interest in moving to a Land Rover.

I dropped into one of my local dealers to look at the RRS S/C and was actually impressed more with the LR4. With that said, I wanted to get some opinion from the LR4 community here on the Rear Seat Entertainment package. The dealer rep I talked with made it a point to tell me that when I am ready to buy I shouldn't order the RSE but rather get an after market system ($500 less) that would end up being better. Of course the dealer has a local installer that they are sending the work to, so my first thought was that there was some kind of kickback thing going on here. Dismissing that relationship....are there any drawbacks to the factory RSE?? None of the vehicles on the lot had the RSE installed, so I couldn't see it for myself but the dealer rep stated that the screens were not that clear, and the system wasn't capable of separate movies to each screen. I am all for integration into the factory system....so an after market system would have to work natively.

Is this guy just trying to get a kickback from a local business.....or are there legitimate issues with the factory RSE?

Thoughts?

I look forward to becoming part of this community...and thanks in advance for any input!

David

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR4 didn't come with a RSE so I don't have a first hand exprience with any issues but I have very insight information on the system as I am actually trying to retrofit the system and have reasearched a lot and collected few componets.

The system was initially introduced back in 2006 or so and is based on Alpine AV system from that era. It's true that LCD screens have standard resolution not the high definition ones of late models. But then it's just a 6.5" screen not a 50" TV. You won't notice the difference unless you look it up closely. But I do wish it was 7" or 7.5" high definition one.

It's not true that you can play only 1 movie on both screen. System comes with a 6 disc DVD changer and 2 A/V inputs so you can hook up ipod/phone/pad, game console or another portable player and play it on 1 screen and play movies on other screen while all that action can be controled at the front via touch screen or by rear passenger by remote control. If you got kids, you can control what they or each one of them can watch and/or listen and movie can be also played on car's main Logic 7.1 system or what ever it's called. System also includes audio controls (volume, track, source) and headphone jack integrated into the rear window switch. Each of your back seat passengers can listen into any of the available sources (radio, CD, MP3 from memory stick, ipot, DVD or game console etc) independently of each other via headset as well.

After market system, when installed properly will do the similar job but it comes no where close to the total system integration and seemless look that the factory system has and there is no way for drivers to have that kind of control at the front. Plus I have never seen an aftermarket system with a 6 disk DVD changer. And the sound quality. Factory system has a fiber optic audio cable going from DVD changer straight to the harman/kardon amplifier for best available sound quality. You can't say that for the aftermarket system.

If you ask me, obviously it's worth it. I couldn't get it on my LR at the time of purchase because there was no LR4 with RES available anywhere in my state at the time.

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i purchased my LR4, the dealer told me not to order the factory RSE because it has 5" screens (i think). Instead, he said they can install the same system at the dealer with a "6 or 7" inch screen, i cant remember which. But basically he said they would install the same system with the same features as factory but the screen would be an inch or two larger, all for the same price.

That being said, i decided not to have either installed and am going to get an aftermarket one installed, with an even larger screen and save about $1000.

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like two owners are already given an incorrect information on factory RSE by the sales man in an attempt to persuade buyer toward an aftermarket system offered through the dealer. I bet it's because they want to sell the car in stock instead of special ordering another one with RSE installed from the factory and they get a kick back or profit from the aftermarket installation.

Again, factory screen is 6.5" not 5" and you can play different sources independently on each screen. A seperate RSE manual is included in every car whether it has one equipped or not. I would read it through and get the facts straight before I decide.
When I was considering LR4, I thought factory RSE is over priced but after buying mine, I had an opportunity to actually see it in person on another LR4 on the showroom floor weeks later and learned what it can do, I regretted not getting it and now I am trying to retrofit it.

Aftermarket system is certainly cheaper. Heck, you can pick up a $200 portable DVD player with bigger screen at walmart and rear passengers will be just as happy.
But no aftermarket system will match the seemless look and integration.

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My kids would be much happier with iPads which would cost half of the RSE. They're not big on dvds, but are always on the internet. Also, they can take the iPads with them. I can understand the attraction of the RSE for very young kids, but I guessing that older kids would have much less use for it. I'm just trying to be helpful and hope I didn't take the thread off-track.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to give you my $.02....I just purchased my new LR4 and had after market Invision system head rest DVD players installed. It is the same system I had installed by Lexus on my LX570. It works by removing your present head rests, then Invision sends you (or the dealer) new head rests (exact color and texture match) with the DVD player installed in them. The new head rests are able to "recline back and forth for comfort" and the DVD player screen is able to tilt for viewer preference. They each hold one dvd and are capable of playing separately or together off the master dvd player. Our kids love it...any questions let me know.
The nice thing is once you trade your car in, you keep your dvd players. All I had to do was purchase new head rests shells for the new LR4 to move them from the Lexus. That cost $150/head rest, and $100 labor. $400 is a lot better than $2500 for a new system in a new car again.

Perry

Last edited:

Jenson

Reaction score
LR4 rear entertainment

Can someone clarify here if the aftermarket system (installed by the dealer) can play the same movie on both screens and can be controlled by the head unit in the front?

I have a 08 RRS and have a factory installed system and while looking for a new LR4 was told that there are not many with factory installed RES - and the dealer told me that aftermarket (dealer installed one) would not be integrated with the car system, ie. will not be controlled by the head system next to the driver. Also i was told that you need a DVD for each unit (ie. cannot play the same dvd at the same time).

thanks

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the system I have (Invision), one single dvd can play in the master unit and can thus be shown on both players. And of course, two seperate movies can be watched with two different discs.
There is no control in the front by the driver.

Jenson

Reaction score
how much did this system cost you? and how difficult is it to install (did dealer have to do it). thanks

drtyksh

Reaction score
Responses

First off, thanks to everyone that has responded!

Secondly....looks like this will be a tough decision when I decide to get my LR4. I am leaning towards the factory system since my youngest wouldn't know the difference between a standard and HD screen (he is 3 years old). My daughters (8 and 9) probably wont care either, so it comes down to integration and ease of use.

If the dealer can truly install an after market system that fully integrates like the factory system does, but provides larger and higher resolution screens then I could probably go that route.

Again, thanks for the responses on my first post! (I'm sure there will be many more as I get closer to my purchase!)

David

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99