D1 Transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

jhermoso

Hello, im new to the forum and read several posts and find it very useful...

Here is my problem:

Disco 96 V8i Auto
Problem started four months ago my wife driving her disco as usual and the ransmision started slipping until the car died no movent but a cracking noise.

in the afternoon i arrived in my disco and started hers, started driving with no problem but as soon as the car arrived to normal operating temperature, slipping transmission again and horrific :ahhhhh: noise. i stopped, wait like 1/2 hour, started again with no problem and arrived home, and it died on the front door again.
Actions: Changed tarnsmission oil with syntetic, and added some aditive worked o.k. by 3 weeks and went again with the problem Decided to change Transmision filter and gasket, but cleaned also everything and started it again no problem for two months until yesterday....when it gets hot it dies, and wotks again when its cool, im thinking maybe something related to transmission oil cooling and causes the oil to lose density after it stops working, dont know im no mechanic. i own four discos and this is the only one with the problem, 64,000 KM and all others are between 90k KM and 110K KM

Tks for the help folks...

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long has this problem been happening? Are there any more details about the problem?

J

jhermoso

Well first time four months ago, changed oil and repeated after 3 or four weeks changed filter and oil and was quiet until yesterday

No further details just the fact that the car dies when it gets hot, no movement nor forward or reverse, only one detail, when the car is cool in the morning it takes up to 4000RPM to shift from 1st gear to second and it gets normal after two or tree minutes, then it dies between 5-10 min.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its not personal question - which oil you been using for your transmission?

J

jhermoso

Im using Castrol oil i think is GTX something, bought it at the Jaguar/Land Rover dealer with the oil filter and gasket according with the service manual and oil specs, do you think its the oil?, because ive been using the same for my other three D1´s and no problems and they are on 90K Km, this one is a lot less Km.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are we all talking about the same things here? Could the differential fluid be low/gone, or the transfercase oil?

BIG difference in fluids for diffs vs. crankcase vs. xfer case...

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Juan, ahem.. GTX Castrol is engine oil to start with (at least i havent seen their gear oil with that mark). Next thing is that if you indeed replaced transmission fluid it would be ATF (Dextron II+ specs). Transfer case is indeed using gear oil, same as differentials.

Next to the filter - which one you did really replaced? Engine (cylindrical one) or transmission (involves taking off crossmember, dropping bottom of tranny pan, with lots of debris falling on you, while at it..)

Are you sure you used proper one? Specially if we talking overheating here.

I am not questioning your knowledge, its just that sometime all them terms are getting all messed up.

PS: yes i noticed that i been using "indeed" too much in this post :) Dunno why. My literature teacher would beat me up for that right away. Considered worst possible thing in russian to use same words in same paragraph or sentence.

J

jhermoso

Uzbad, yes, i was wrong on the GTX thing, that one i purchased for my V8i,not my wife´s , the one in question i bought the right one for transmission and yes the filter is one flat plate, very singular not cilindrical as the engine one and yes i had to take a lot of parts of the car taking crossmember off, dropping bottom of tranny pan as you said, and well the dibris were unbelievable and a sticky something very muddy look alike stuff in there, cleaned everything replacing filter, new gasket put everything together tested and bingo worked for two months...

By the way we had to remove the manifold to move the exhaust system out of the way to remove the transmission pan/carter

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jhermoso

O.k. I tested the car again and followed a pattern:

Started engine and was o.k. and went around my neighborhood, after 3 minutes reaching normal engine and transmission temperature the problem started, noisy transmission until the car stopped no movement possible.

I stopped the engine and started it an hour ago after it was cooler and it worked fine for 3 or for more minutes until temperature rised again to normal
did it four times and also took a sample of oil with the car cool in the morning before starting it and was a lot thicker tha when hot..(Cooling problem maybe)

Conclusion: im not mechanic but if you see the fact i changed Trans filter, ATF oil etc, but the problem returns, i think i should do a chemical flush and change filter again because maybe theres an obstruction on the transmission cooling hoses or somewhere that can be flushed or maybe changed, because high temp can cause oil to go thiner and cause problems of friction etc

Opinions please, its just a theory....

Have a good day.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you absolutely positive that its transmission noise (and not some other part that been taken off and then not fit properly while you replaced filter) - then how you feel about that rubber O ring that was part of filter kit - did you refit it properly? If not - it will compromise oil flow...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM