D1 Transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

jhermoso

Yes Sergei, im positive, Noise comes from the transmission, and yes, i put the new O ring that came with the filter kit in place, bot the problem already existed before the filter change so the cause is not the o ring maybe something else that the guys from the shop will figure out. I asked one of the Jaguar/LR mechanics and he said maybe filter and i said already changed then well we should check but is not a big deal because the car runs until hot, if there were a real bad thing the car will be static cool or hot, he said we should do a complete flush, clean cooling hoses from transmision to rad and rad to transmission, change filter again and say a couple of prayers..

I give up on this thing and will pass it to the professionals...shame on me today i feel like i should buy a LexusLX470, made in Japan no problems easy to repair, soft driving but then i say no way, i have the Best4X4byfar....so we will rapair the damm thing...

Thanks Sergei for your input..

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Luck Juan. It will all be worth it when the Rover is working well.

J

jhermoso

Dont Worry Melissa, The Lexus should be for my Wife if i cannot fix her disco, im keeping mine and the other two i own, we have Four Discos...in case we can not receive the 2003 Discovery we are trying to buy a 7000Km TD5 with all the gadgets.....

IM KEEPING MINE NO DOUBT

Regards, Juan

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.. trip to transmission shop i guess would be in order then :) Sorry that we cant sort it out.. :(

J

jhermoso

Well, i spoke to one of the guys from Jaguar/Land Rover and he went to my house today and checked the car, he found a little amount of metal in the oil so he suggested changing filter again, oil, flush and 3 discs that usually suffers damage on the transmission. we have like all the tools and one elevator at home we can use so he can work the weekend at 25% the price of the dealer, lucky me so on monday i will let you know the results....

Saludos
Juan

J

jhermoso

Well, i forgot to inform about the status of the Transmission Problem of my Disco #1, anyway, im glad to inform You that after dismounting the transfer, transmission and all the related ´parts, finally is working fine, or i should say as never before, now the shifting is strong, powerful acceleration, no slipping, and it climbs like never did.....

We did almost a complete transmission overhaul, and it cost me less than 500.00USD so im Happy, this includes the machanic......so end of the story

Now moving to other minor things on the other discos...

By the way, we changed the vaccum pump for une of the TDI i own and the brakes are now like new, i did it while the other guy was messing around with the transmission...

Tks for your help to all....

D

discomike

Juan,
You are one of those unlucky one who has eaten a transmission. I don't doubt the noise. With any amont od material in the bottom of the pan and the noise, take it to a shop and let them look at it, cause it is fried.
One of the problems, or risks with changing transmission fluids to correct a problem is that the detergent level is so high in the new fluid that it will either fix a stuck valve body piston or **** the trans.
I think yours is dead and if you are wanting to have someone rebuid it, quit trying the home cures. Everytime it heats up and stops you can be doing more and more damage.
Sorry,
Mike J.

J

jhermoso

Hi Mike, well i forgot to detail that we took the entire trans to the mechanic shop, and make a complete rebuild, not me the guys from the shop (Certified LR ) and they work at the dealer, and they gave me the part list needed to complete the rebuild, it included some disks and other parts i can´t pronuonce, the also changed the input gear and shaft that was just a little loose and changed the filter that i originally changed again, aldo cleaned the cooling hoses and the list goes and goes...you are right the pan was full of debris again but after a couple of weeks using it we checked oil and theres no more debris like before, we will keep checking for the next two or three months to see if debris appear again but as a comment, after the seccond flush and filter change debris apperared at the first week so you are right, i was Frying the trans, and needed what we did baddly (well they did), if you see the guys car they have a crane that can remove an entire engine from the LR, and has elevators and a reproduced shop like the one at the dealer

Everything ended up at +-800 by now but yes as you said fried trans i respect you because i read a lot of your posts and are so right that impresses me

TKS for your help

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM