D2 Front Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roverhound

Reaction score
Hey all!
I'm looking to make a front bumper for my 2000 d2.
I will more then likely make it out of 1/4" steel plate with square tube backing.
I would also like to make a winch tray for it as well as incorporating the factory brush bar which would be welded directly to the bumper and not use the cheesy mounting points that it does stock.
I'll be searching for ideas but I would like to get peoples thought on what they've done, And maybe what they would do differrent. Pictures would be appreciated.
I think DiscoMike has made his own. Got any secrets to share?

NXC1978

Reaction score
Hey I'm doing the same thing. I think the best thing to do is to get your old bumper off and then you start to get ideas. It least that is what happend for me. I would just make the strongest most clearing bumper you can. That boxed steel will work great.

D

discomike

Walter,
You go crazy and build something completely different like I did.
Mike J.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 97

Roverhound

Reaction score
Looks good Mike. I'm gonna start after the Holidays I think.

D

discomike

Have fun with it, I find it kind of neat to have something different from any other out there. If you want to get more ideas at some point get back to me and I'll send you some pictures taken as we made both this and the rear bumpers, might be of some help in your designing your bumper.Take care,
Mike J.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, I know you've posted the "top-down" view of your bumper before it went on the truck. I also know you mounted it to the framehorns by using a separate piece that acts as a brace of sorts -- what gauge steel is that piece? What is the thickness of the other mounting pieces?

D

discomike

The box steel is 2x6, 3/16th"
The braces and brackets as well as the up rights for the tubes are 1/4"
The winch tray was from 1 1/4" angle iron 1/4" thick
All the bolts are grade 8
If I had to do it all over again, I might have gone to 2x5 box to keep the size down a little in the front. We did use 2x5 on the rear bumper though.
Hope that helps,
Mike J.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a tremendous help! Thanks, Mike...I know I've been blabbering on about a new bumper since, well, early summer but I really want to get mine done by spring. I have a plan now...

:biggrin:

Andy

D

discomike

Andy,
Let me know how it is coming, is this going to be a winch bumper?
Mike J.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo