Dash Light Delay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everytime I turn the headlights on, it takes a minute or two before the dashlights come on. They used to come on together. In addition to this, the rear passenger window would not go up. But after a minute of constantly pushing the button it finally went up. Does anyone know if this might be a relay problem or possible a sign that the alternator is going. Its a 98 D1 w/ 76k. Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.

D

discomike

John,
No it is not the alternator, poor thing it is always the first thing to be picked on when it comes to an electrical problem.
As for the window, does it happen like that from both swithes or just one?
As for the dash, I would check and clean the fuses, relay and especially the ground. I would bet it is ground related.
And no the 2 are not going to be related.
Good luck,
Mike J.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Hey John!! I am with Mike .. Check the fuses especially the fuse box right by the charcoal box. I blew a fuse and it directly effected the inside dashboard lights. It was the fuse labeled Lights (20). Hope this helps. Mel

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have another thought, but don't we all. It may very well be the contacts in the light switch itself need cleaned. If I was at home this week, I have an entire write up on how to clean the light switch that someone on DiscoWeb wrote up a few months back.

As for the back windows not going up, it sounds like the relay behind the glove box...this is also been posted in the tech section of Discoweb (when it is online) it will show you how to fix this issue as well.

Hope this helps,

Of course someone out here may have this info on their computer somewhere, but you never know.

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys and gals for the suggestions. I'll check the fuse box and then the light switch. As for the window, it was just the one and hasnt done it again. Maybe just a one timer. Thanks again for the help.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John, if you're really careful you can clean the contacts in the window switch. There could be junk in there...

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
I would use rubbing alcohol. Not too much though put some on a dry cloth. That usually will do the trick.

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Acetone is better than alcohol for cleaning anything electrical. Its hard to get the pure stuff but finger nail polish, unscented, will do.

S

super_poser

markthecat said:
Acetone is better than alcohol for cleaning anything electrical. Its hard to get the pure stuff but finger nail polish, unscented, will do.

Finger nail polish?? or Finger nail polish remover?? Charles

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Charles - remover of course :)

However you can use polish later on contacts to prevent oxidation. We used it to cover legs on microschemes (chips for you english-speaking lot) after soldering :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99