DC100 "the new Defender concept"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah, helll...i guess i'll keep dreaming about importing and restoring a mid 1980's 110 instead of hoping for a new updated true defender to make it this way in a couple years.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lame. Ideally we could just buy the same damn ones that the folks across the pond can buy.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Defender G Wagon or a Land Rover FJ?

I still have not warmed to the Toyota FJ Cruiser, hence that concept is not my idea of a Defender.

Actually I figured that LR would discontinue the Discovery after the 4; take the body and go with coils, a solid rear axle and side hinge rear door etc and call it the Defender 2.

Say the 3.0 diesel feeding a 4 speed automatic or 5 speed manual box and you might just have something particularly if you got rid of the optical computer system and the high speed bus monitoring systems.

I just think the current body on frame design is a good size and shape and is worth retaining - it is the one thing Land Rover did right. I guess the result would be a Defender G Wagon that rides OK and still could be sold in the first world.

If you stripped out the air bags, safety systems, anti skid etc and installed bench seats, you could have a vehicle for the third world as well.

A weak copy of the FJ with Land Rover tacked on the front may be like that Ford Jaguar awhile back - not be the best idea.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new concept reminds me of the new ford explorer, especially the headlights...no, it does not look good, i don,t see any continuity of LR heritage at all...ohhh i am sorry Before i saw the post i was referring to a concept posted on British site..., but this looks even worst, Honda element / KIA..

Last edited:

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overall I am not a fan of this concept. However, I do there there is some potential. If you squint really hard the fundamental shape actually looks really nice (seriously, try it). Just get rid of some of the "plastic" look, bling, and unnecessary grooves in the body. The grill is also lacking that "tough" look that the original has--this grill looks more weak, like a freelander 1.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Defender is beloved for its simplicity and rugged design. If you take that away, what's the point?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sales numbers?

The Defender is beloved for its simplicity and rugged design. If you take that away, what's the point?
It could be that Tata has concluded there is no significant market for off road vehicles, and what there is, both Jeep and Land Cruiser are handling it adequately.

Tata probably sees more future sales, (money), building small city vehicles as opposed to limited market vehicles. I suspect that they do not understand that part of the marketing appeal, (image), of the high end FFRR derived from the utility and ubiquity of the low end Series vehicles.

The problem with building and selling average and everyday vehicles is just that.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt that it is a lack of understanding on Tata's part, they are likely pretty smart folks since they run an effective and successful gloabal business.

Perhaps they don't see the business case closing for a good ol' fashioned Defender, true, and that would be a shame. Would they be wrong? I don't know...Land Rover has never been bought 'n sold so many times in the last 15 years and there could be a reason for that.

At the same time, I don't think a "modern Defender" would scratch that itch. Why would someone buy a new Defender instead of an LR4? If it is a similar chassis and drivetrain, what sets it apart? The ugly body? No thanks.

Then again, this is a CONCEPT so perhpas a few grains of salt are in order.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99