Dead LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Happy ending

I have a very happy ending to my "dead LR4" story. My dealership - Palm Beach Land Rover - stood completely behind the car and wanted me to be happy, so they swapped my LR4 for a new one. The sales manager accompanied my salesman in delivering the new LR4 to my house (an hour away). Now that's customer service! I don't know corporate Land Rover's role in all of this but it seemed as if this was simply a case of the dealership taking charge to solve the problem. My kudos go out to Palm Beach Land Rover; I'd gladly recommend them to anyone in Florida looking to buy/lease a Rover.

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great news! My wife and I have now had ours for.....

6 days! It was a service loaner prior to our picking it up last Monday. It had about 900 miles on it when we picked it up, but now it has about 1500 miles on it. We've really put it through a few paces in the past week. Been running flawlessly, and I hope it continues to do so. I'm glad you were able to sort out your issues, and lets hope it was just a "lemon" and you got lucky that you don't have to deal with it any longer. I have two friends that have 07 RRS's and they both have over 50k miles on them, and they've been extremely reliable. That's partly the reason I decided to take the leap of faith and try an LR. Frankly, your post scared me a bit last week as we were making our final decision, but again decided to take that "leap of faith". Very happy so far, and I hope you will be happy also. Love the way the beast drives. Now I just need to figure out where to go to get it "off road"!

Cheers,

Joe

Reaction score
Good luck

Glad you are happy with your new LR4; I'm glad to finally have one to drive. I do think I had a (rare?) lemon, as I read on this forum and others that there have been a few inexplicable "dead" Rovers - others seemed to have been fixed with software updates, new batteries, etc.

I was pretty twisted up in this for a couple weeks, but as I said, my dealer stepped up and did the right thing. I'm happy in that I won't have a vehicle that will die on me, likely stranding me somewhere. I really got to give them credit for A+ customer service.

I hope LR continues to grow and expand their line. I know they have a "new demographics" to shoot for, but there are a lot of us who want and need the rugged functionality of the old school Rovers. I understand we're not in their bulls-eye now but maybe in the future they can offer things like accessible tow hooks and hitches (not ones where you have to disassemble layers of plastic to get to), skid plates, wire/metal brush/light guards, expedition roof racks, etc. As you may know there are zero after-market sources for these items for the "new generation" of LRs. But, I can't complain about the core vehicle. The LR obstacle course impressed me as did the hard terrain I've put mine through. I was also a bit surprised that the luxury packages on the LR didn't offer real wood trim (or at least something close to it) and perforated leather seats. Guess that's old school too. Maybe by the time I'm ready to turn this one in they'll offer something closer to their roots.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of old school rovers LR is currently designing the "Project Icon" LR to replace the Defender. I've heard talk that LR may combine the Discovery AND Defender for this new vehicle - would be LR's true off road machine. Supposedly the RRS will get 7 seats in the next version therefor eliminating the need for the LR4/Discovery 4 in the lineup. I read this in another forum and the consensus was what I've written above. My $2 is given the restrictions for emissions and all the electric vehicles coming out LR will eventually only have 1 true off road machine - the Project Icon vehicle. The new Range Rover Evoque will have a 2 wheel drive option and be the lightest LR ever built. My guess is the future of LR is similar but maintaining 1 true off road machine. My opinion.

Geotrash

Reaction score
Speaking of old school rovers LR is currently designing the "Project Icon" LR to replace the Defender.
Yes...I read about this as well. BRILLIANT is all I can say- even moreso if the base engine is the V6 turbodiesel. I love my LR3 but also loved the more traditional LR lines and chassis of my old Discovery II. I think there is a decent market for a well priced and "authentic" model in the Land Rover lineup that evokes memories of the old school Series Rovers and is based on a very rugged frame without all of the electronics. Take away the Buick 8 and put in a diesel, and it has a shot at durability.

Best,
Dave

arogin

Reaction score
did it say smart key not found? this is a known issue at land rover corporate. they had to buy back my first LR4 with 2200 miles on it, my 2nd one started with this mess at 766 miles. it is a known issue with the keys and ignition module, and believe it or not, it can be caused by iphones and certain other smartphones. land rover will deny it, but i have proof. am currently on my 2nd LR4 and am in the process of suing them.

Reaction score
The "smart key message" never showed up, but that omission could have been part of the glitch. As I said, my dealer stepped up and gave me a new LR4 (so far so good). not that it is much consolation but the tow truck driver that picked up my dead LR4 said that he gets "lots" of these problems in the new Corvettes and Lexus and Audi that have gone to the keyless gadgetry and the other computer nonsense. I know LR is just trying to keep up with the other luxury Joneses but HOPEFULLY, when the unveil the Icon model it will have lots of old school features - I personally would gladly trade in my keyless feature and lots of the other computerized "stuff" for a rugged dependable vehicle; let them keep all the other stuff for the RR and the urban cowboys who can afford it.

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 weeks and no issues so far! My wife uses a Blackberry....

And uses the bluetooth function with no issues yet. We don't have or use an I-phone, so I can't comment on that!

Cheers,

Joe

Chris Brown

Reaction score
did it say smart key not found? this is a known issue at land rover corporate. they had to buy back my first LR4 with 2200 miles on it, my 2nd one started with this mess at 766 miles. it is a known issue with the keys and ignition module, and believe it or not, it can be caused by iphones and certain other smartphones. land rover will deny it, but i have proof. am currently on my 2nd LR4 and am in the process of suing them.

I am having the exact same issue: LR4 is completely dead but only when I try to turn it on. When I have it towed to the mechanic, it works fine. Your post was useful and I have tried without my iphone or any smartphone. My LR4 is currently with the mechanic and they are starting it daily hoping one day it is dead so they can diagnose. What is the latest on your lawsuit?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo