Dead LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Today when I went to start my 6 DAY-old 2010 LR4 (all of 129 miles on it), I pressed the button - NOTHING! Called the dealer and they walked me through the possible reasons/solutions - none worked. It is being flat-bedded back to the dealer tomorrow. I'm concerned about this being a long-term "lemon" issue. Anyone have this problem recur?

As you may notice from my other post (windshield visibility issue) this isn't the only problem I have with my new vehicle, but the others ("premium leather" isn't premium, black trim is a fingerprint-magnet, bluetooth doesn't work as advertised) are ones I might be able to live with - but not a car that has to be towed back to the dealer before it is a week old. Thank goodness that Florida has a consumer-friendly Lemon Law.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have an early build LR4 (sat at dealers for extended period)? I know some early LR4's were shipped with defective batteries. Have you had the 2010 model year software update? I did read of 2 other instances on LR4owners website where the vehicle didn't recognize the key being inside and wouldn't start. I believe the remedy was to hold it against the underside of the steering column to re-recognize the key. Did you try that while trying to start?

Last edited:
Reaction score
No - I didn't try the key-under-the-steering column - unfortunately the LR service manager didn't tell me that when I was on the phone with him sitting in my dead car. Thanks for all the other info as well. I will ask them about the battery and software as well. Thanks again.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately LR doesn't do a very good job of educating their sales staff or service staff of brand new model features. This is my personal opinion and may not be shared by all so no offense to anyone out there. I've had many instances where I've had issues and found the answer on a board like this, and when I asked the dealer they had no clue what I was talking about and had to look it up for answers. Be patient with the LR4, it's a brand new model with new keyless entry system, perhaps if they install the new software update it will solve your issues.

Reaction score
Thanks. Shows the value of sites like this. I'm awaiting the dealer's response, that will ultimately determine how understanding I will be. I've got a few other "issues" with the car that I've also notified them of, so they have their chance to make me a happy customer. Again, thanks for the reply.

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do like the push start on the LR4 but something has to be said about the previous models rechargable key fobs. Besides, I went swiming with the key in my pocket, ok I fell off the pier, and it is true, the damn thing is water sealed good. Cant imagine that the new one will be ar "hardy".

Reaction score
Unfortunately the only update is that the dealer still has my LR4 (five days and counting) and they haven't been able to find out what was/is wrong with it. The problem is amplified by the fact that now it starts (it didn't start after 20-25 tries over 3 days before it was towed). Supposedly they have tried "everything"; I sent them the solutions others have reported in previous forum comments (battery, software update, key issues) and they say that none of those either apply or solved the problem. I know I'm going to get it back without a known fix and will have to "wait until it happens again", which is a pretty lame situation as when it dies it dies, regardless of how inconvenient it will be. Pretty unbelievable (and embarrassing: everybody asks me "where's your new Land Rover). Anybody have any other suggestions?????

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would contact LR north america and let them know the situation - that your dealer is doing their best to find the problem but you're not confident in the outcome. Get some documentation so that when you do get it back and if it does fail agin you will have a paper trail and it will be easier to get a replacement vehicle or have LR take it back. Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo