Deah Wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greg409... just so you know you should have 0 deg toe out on a rover... measure front and back of tire, they should be identical 0 degrees....

Yup, as I recall,my rave sez "0" to +15mins.(1/4 deg.) out -- did it with lockable sliding extension.
referencing front & rear inside of rims (true rims)
Whole thing took less than 30 mins. or so. - I took my sweet time.

thx 4 response,luck,greg

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the death wobble is caused by having all 4 coil springs.
Wrong. Series Land Rovers are subject to death wobble too. The main culprit in Land Rovers up to Disco II's is too light swivel pin preload.
Coilers just add more suspension components that can wear and cause it.

The next thing to check is your steering stabilizer.
Wrong. Never replace a steering damper to cure death wobble. A Land Rover does not need a steering stabilizer to not have wobble. That's not the function of a steering stabilizer.

I recommend replacing the stabilizer along with whatever worn components that you find under the front end,
Absolutely not!
You should only replace a steering damper after you've fixed the root cause, otherwise you're hiding the problem.

Hi Joey I had my mechanic replace the tie rods, Steering dampper and steering box was rebuilt. Also we also redid the swivel preload .. and still problems. Land Rover experts said if all fails we should replace the swivel housing and that will solve everything. Anyone know where I can get 2 swivel housings for a good price?
You need to find a new mechanic. Anyone who knows Land Rovers well won't replace a steering damper to fix the wobble, unless they want to get more money from you later.
It's highly unlikely you would need new swivel housings. Unless things have gotten extremely bad they won't wear, they aren't a wearing part. It's like buying new wheels when your tires are worn.
A swivel pin kit is all you should need.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM