Deah Wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desperadodc

Reaction score
I am having the exact problem with my 98 Discovery. Is the problem really with the swivel preload. I have done the steering box, damper and tie rods already. Could the tires be responsible as well ????? Help

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Tires will not cause the Death Wobble, but it can cause vibration. The panhard rod bushing will also cause some issues, but not the true Death wobble.

desperadodc

Reaction score
Hi Joey I had my mechanic replace the tie rods, Steering dampper and steering box was rebuilt. Also we also redid the swivel preload .. and still problems. Land Rover experts said if all fails we should replace the swivel housing and that will solve everything. Anyone know where I can get 2 swivel housings for a good price?

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CV Joints and/or the steering damper. I put a cheap damper on a couple of years ago and had the death wobble after about 4 months. Put a Bilstein damper on and death wobble was gone.

floridarover

Reaction score
death wobble

Had the very same problem after the same fix. It was my front shocks. Simple and cheap to fix. Try it first.

desperadodc

Reaction score
The DISCO has been in the shop all week .. problems getting parts from LR Canada ... anyway .. Shocks was not on the menu .. will tell Service Tech to investigate. is there anyway to tell if they are faulty?

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not being one to waste 1/2hr of typing, I'll leave this post here even after reading the one above - CRAP

I'm in (4) forums, the common denominator for death wobble is swivel preload

I've not experienced it, but after I rebuilt my steering (all) I had wandering & skittishness over bumps

It turned out I had too much toe out (required). After 5mins & 1/4 turn on toe rod, my steering is perfect - Your Rover dealer didn't align properly in my opinion

Take what Joey says to the bank, if your swivel preload is bad, you might feel play by jacking up the front, grabbing the tire top & bottom & shaking the shat out of it.

If you feel play, certainly it's swivels although you might not feel it, those wheels are HEAVY

luck,greg

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Greg409... just so you know you should have 0 deg toe out on a rover... measure front and back of tire, they should be identical 0 degrees....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM