Decision Time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About two months ago I put in an order for a 2013 to my specifications. I was told it would arrive in October, which was fine because I was anticipating the news on the 2014 model. A few weeks ago I got an update that the 2013 I ordered would arrive on 9/25. Well, today I got a call that it's here!

I'm really torn on this one. I have to admit that there are some aspects to the 2014 that I really like. Namely the 8 speed transmission and the paddle shifters. Based on my calculations the 2014 SCV6 would save me about $650 annually on fuel...not sure that is enough for me to care. I love the power of my 2010 and worry that the 2014 SCV6 will be a disapointment. I am not as concerned about the cosmetic changes, although I do think the grill and lights are kinda cool.

I'm going to check out the 2013 this afternoon, but I'm going to have to make a decision sooner than I thought. I know a lot of you guys feel happy that you've already taken delivery of your 2013...any regrets after what we've learned about the 2014? Anyone else on the fence like me?

By the way, I ordered a LUX, Corris Gray, Black Interior with Walnut, Sirius, Heavy Duty Package, Extended Leather, with the 20" 10 spoke wheels.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No regrets. Two new things on the 2014 I'd pay to have added on my car are blind spot monitoring and the better positioned front cameras in the new Vision Pack (which you aren't getting anyway.) Saving money at the pump would be great for me - I drive at least 30K miles a year between business and pleasure - but I don't think the savings with the new V6 will be as great as the numbers appear to show, and the V6 is never going to feel like a V8. Also, I never found myself wishing my tranny had a couple of extra gears - if I had a Supercharged V6 I might - due to the wonderful torque and power band of the v8. And the shift paddles sound like a novelty I would quickly stop using if I had them - I barely use CommandShift anyway, the auto tranny is that good.

Last edited:

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it really comes down to the engine, see if you can go take a RRS with the new SCV6 for a ride and give it the butt dyno test. The local dealer is doing this for select customers in an upcoming event. If there is no noticeable difference in low speed low end torque, overall torque "feel", or you do not experience the engine (V6) running out of breath when you accelerate hard, then I would go for the SCV6. In short, if the engine/tranny dynamics really are noticeably equal or improved with the new SCV6 (it's just an engine/tranny swap, not a whole new platform) then do the 2014.

The way I look at it, even if the MPG figures for the USA are not published yet, the numbers will definitely be better than the outgoing V8 even if only by a couple more MPGs. If that alone makes you feel more comfortable, then go for the 2014.

Otherwise, in my opinion, the other cosmetic differences would not be enough to sway me and this is coming from someone who will openly admit to having buyer's remorse on vehicles.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember that the new RRS is some 800 lbs lighter than the old RRS and current LR4 platforms. I am sure the V6 will feel plenty peppy on the 2014 Sport... Not necessarily on the LR4.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a bit biased, but for me it was a no brainer - I wanted the V8. I was originally going to wait for the 2014, but I have zero regrets about ordering a 2013. It's exactly what I want and I can see myself being happy long term (as long as there are no major issues).

I know it's a tough decision, but it's good you are giving it some analysis. I have no doubt that the SC V6 will be a great engine and will feel great (to most people), but no matter what (especially since they didn't shave off weight), I just don't think it will have the same feeling as the V8. If there are aspects of the 2014 that you really would miss, then maybe it's worth re-ordering one and just making the jump to the 2014.

The gas savings you mentioned are pretty minimal, but you may be paying a few thousand more for the same build as your 2013 - right? We don't even know yet about exact pricing for various options (e.g., heavy duty package), except that the price went up for all trims. Plus, is it confirmed that the paddle shifter is coming or is it still the stick shift for 2014?

Please keep us posted and I wish you the best of luck!

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...see if you can go take a RRS with the new SCV6 for a ride and give it the butt dyno test.

Good advice. I just made a trip to the dealership to 1) take a look at the 2013 I ordered, and 2) drive the RRS. My impressions:

The SCV6 didn't necessarily feel like it was lacking, but I absolutely notice the difference from the NAV8. I felt like on the Highway pushing it fast up to 70mph I was getting close to maximing the capacity of the SCV6. Whereas the NAV8 I always feel like I can get there quickly without using all it has to offer. This experiment reminded me of driving a BMW 535 (6 cylinder) versus the 550 (8 cylinder) that I ultimately bought.

Standing behind the RRS SCV6 the engine sounded tough enough, but when I was driving it sounded more whiney than the gutteral sound of the V8. This plays into the psychological "perception" of power versus "actual" power. There is something to be said about the psychology of driving and feeling like you have a lot of juice.

I'm going to sleep on it tonight and decide over the weekend. Here is a pic of the 2013. It is still in transportation mode, and the dealer hadn't prepped it yet, so no test drive this time. Although I have a pretty darn good idea of how it drives based on my 2010.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    842.4 KB · Views: 47

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SCV6 didn't necessarily feel like it was lacking, but I absolutely notice the difference from the NAV8.

The 2013 looks great - I still love that color.

I am glad you were able to drive the SCV6 - I think that will help your decision more than anything. If you could tell a difference between the SC V6 on the RRS (which is a lot lighter and more nimble), then I am sure it will be even more pronounced on the LR4. Right there, that would make up my decision - for sure! This is especially true if you ever want to tow, etc.

I am glued to this thread to see what you decide! :)

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2013 you ordered looks very nice! As far as the scv6 goes, I feel that it is a good engine but it will always be lacking, compared to the V8. Like you, I also felt the same thing when comparing a 535i and a 550i. Big V8s are special. Good luck with your decision.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with V8 and HD package you already ordered.
I don't think the real life milage will improve a lot on 2014.
Remeber that they take into account stop / go engin deactivation feature which almost everyone hates on the car equipped with it. Before I bought my Audi S4 I test drove BMW 335i and first thing I did after a short city drive was to deactivate it.
How does it works in hot climate when your AC has to be on all the time. It can not be good for the battery I think.
Remember that offical 0-60 times ( 7.5 sec)for V8 LR4s are underrated. I heard about 6.6 sec. by car and driver for LR4.
V8 accelaration is effortless at any speed. ( I would say it is great for such a heavy SUV). It is more important how the car accelerates 20-60 or 55-80 then 0-60 anyway.
SC V6 will have to work hard to move our heavy LR4, so RMPs will be higher all the time.
If you plan to take your LR4 off raod I would go definitely with 2013 V8 HD pack
I never wished my transmission had more gears.
As for gear selector. I do not like the Jaguar style knob. I test drove jaguar XF last year and it was a nice retractable gadget but not very practical.
I like a traditional gear shift lever on our LR4s, easy to use when off roading or when using command shift.
I think shift paddles are out of place in LR4,I can not see any use of them especially when off roading.
I have shift paddles im my Audi S4 ( DSG ), but S4 is a different animal and I drive it completly diffrent then LR4.
Another change that I have noticed on 2014 LR4 , and I don't like it, is a new selector for terrian respone. It is a side to side switch.
Maybe it is just me but I find it easier and more practical to have a big dial for it when changing programs.
I don't have an experiance with the regular switch , so maybe some people who used RRS off road could provide better feedback.

It all depnds what you want to use this car for and what works for you.
I am happy I got 2013 LR4.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm very content with the V8 as well. I took mine down to the 1/4 mile track last night with some friends. At first, I wasn't sure if I was going to put the LR4 on the track, but after seeing a wide assortment of everything from lifted diesel pickups to motorcycles to muscle cars to a BMW 750i and a Mercedes C63 AMG, I decided to go for it. Ran 15.9 second quarter miles. Not bad for a ~6000lb beast with Johnson Rods and All-Terrain tires. Obviously these aren't meant for racing, but it was fun nonetheless.

Here's a video.. maybe it'll make you want a V8, Lol! PS Sorry for the poor quality. http://youtu.be/ZP5YAG6GymU

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635