Disco 2000 rear suspension - air - few questions please answer...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

amvauto

couple of questions, related to the sinking in the rear suspension, when the car was on it took forever but it did raise back to normal height, then when I turn the car off it sometimes does or doesn't sink again, it is on the drivers side and not really the passenger side, but anyway I was looking underneath the car and noticed that there is a small leak of a yellow colored fluid, located after the catalyic converter, in the middle, towards the back?? What could this be, never noticed it before...also I am worried that if I do buy new air suspension bags it still will not raise, is there a way to find out if the compressor is the problem or just the bags??? It is sitting right now in the driveway, should I raise the back of it is ok sitting sunk in the back?? Is it safe to drive a short distance??
Thanks for all your help.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Save your money and replace the air bags with springs....

sounds like a ride height sensor isn't working correctly.

Yellow fluid? if right behind the cats, then it could be the A/C drains.

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EAS on both the Range Rover and Discovery of your vintage are notorious for having problems and they are never inexpensive to repair. That is why most people convert them to regular coil springs. One of the big problems with the EAS is the original air springs which tend to leak when they get older and especially in cold weather. Many people don't replace their air springs when this happens and of course the air compressor runs more frequently and air valves/solenoids are constantly opening and closing thus dramatically shortening their life. The dealer is really the only place to go to diagnose your problem properly as they'll hook up your car to their autologic computer and it'll help to tell them what's up. All the components of the EAS are expensive so you don't want to be using the diagnosis by parts replacement method and even if you were to do it that way, you would still need the dealer to recalibrate the EAS if any height sensors were replaced.

Now as to your particular problem, unless you have a massive leak in your air springs, they should inflate immediatly and quickly upon engine start-up. Sounds to me like you probably need new air springs for starters but you may also have a bad compressor, faulty valve block, leaky lines, leaky air tank or a combination of all.

Regarding your question whether it is ok sitting sunk in the back, it's ok but you may get an EAS malfunction warning when you start the truck. This has happened to me on my Range Rover, but after the suspension pumped up and I shut off the ignition and then restarted it, the malfunction warning disappeared. Not sure if your Disco will behave the same way. If the warning remains, you're off to the dealer for a reset. Regarding you're other question, it is ok to drive with the vehicle sunk down or even on the bump stops, but only at very low speed and really only to limp home or to the dealer.

If you do decide to go for new air springs, get the generation II or III from Arnott's. They are vastly superior to OEM and have a lifetime warranty.

Good luck. EAS is nice WHEN IT WORKS. Kinda like Land Rovers in general.

strutmastr

Reaction score
What has probably happened is you got a hole or cracks in your airbag. Dealerships and mechanics typically diagnoses it as the compressor but that is only to keep you coming back and wasting more money on something that will never truly be fixed. Both the airbag and the compressor are the problem. The compressor has to work extra hard because it is like blowing up a balloon with a hole in it. Therefor the airbag will **** the compressor. I would recommend going to strutmasters.com and taking a look at our conversion kits. these convert you from the airbag to a powder coated American made steel coil spring that is guaranteed to last the life of the car. This is a PERMANENT fix. I added the link below so you can check it out:

http://www.strutmasters.com/land-rover-suspension-parts-s/21.htm

I hope I was of some help

Good Luck!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM