Disco II Overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

msr333

Reaction score
New to the site, so forgive me as I am positive this has been discussed over and over.

2004 Disco II, 4.6 HSE, 125k, Head gasket repair one year ago (25,ooo miles ago)
Had heads pressure checked, milled, all new gaskets, new thermostat, new water pump all from Atlantic British. (second Rover, Second time I've re-done the heads on one. Bought them both blown)

Truck ran great for the last year.

Girlfriend was driving it last week and said it pegged all the sudden. She pulled over immediately. I got it to my garage and have just started tinkering with it. I'm looking for help on diagnosing the issue.

Here is what I can tell you:
-No coolant loss at all
-Water pump is not seeping, no water underneath
-I boiled the Thermostat and it appears to open a little
-Believe the radiator is the original
-Water pump is 1 year old.

Any help would be appreciated as I am hoping its not the heads or worse this time.

Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.... Are you sure it overheated or did the sensor go bad?

Fire it up and watch it, use a temp gun to check for temp and watch the gauge.

msr333

Reaction score
Joey, Thanks for the response. Before I go rent a Temp Gun. The truck will idle in my driveway for over and hour and the temp gauge will not budge. After Idling for a long time, I take it up the driveway (long driveway) for a spin and it the temp gauge starts to climb.
Should I replicate this, then pull it in the driveway and shoot the temp after the gauge climbs? Sorry to sound ignorant.

Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First a temp gun can be bought for less than $25.

Second, If it idles for an hour plus and then doesn't overheat till you drive it, this sounds like a bad gasket.

idle = not enough pressure to blow by
Under power = enough pressure to blow by

I could be wrong and have been many times in my life, but I think I would start by doing a coolant test or a pressure test to determine the issue...

Coolant tester $25-$45

msr333

Reaction score
I just completed the coolant system check for combustion gasses, and it passed. No gasses.
Here is some more information:
Let the truck idle for 15 minutes until the temp gauge was in the middle (where it has ran for the last year)
Top radiator hoses are HOT, bottom hose on radiator that goes into the bottom of the thermostat is not hot at all. Also, Radiator is not even warm all over.
Thermostat? Possible Radiator?

Side note: I was turning the truck on and off quite a bit during the process of getting it warm, and letting it idle to do the combustion check. After the combustion check I shut the truck off, put the expansion cap back on, cleaned up, ect. Tried to start the truck again, and nothing. When I turn the key to position 1, all the normal lights come on the dash, the dinging, ect, but not even a click trying to start it. Any ideas for me on this one? This is a new one as this truck has had zero electrical issues.

Thanks again

msr333

Reaction score
one more note, Alternator and battery are 1 year old. replaced them when the head gasket job was done.

msr333

Reaction score
Note:
If i disconnect the battery and reconnect it, the truck starts fine one time. After shutting off and trying to restart the only way it will engage the starter is to disconnect the battery and reconnect it. I'll focus on the overheating first, then worry about this one..

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Get the front of the rover up on ramps or at least an angle so the front is higher then the back, even an incline in driveway or park on a bank...

remove radiator cap, start engine with heater on high. Run engine till you can add fluid, continue to add fluid (antifreeze (50/50 mix)) until you cant add anymore probably take about 30-45 minutes....

Rhino007

Reaction score
What was the outcome?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

evansjoem

Reaction score
I just raised the coolant reservoir up at least 4in and wired it up so it would stay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72