Disco Turns Over but will not Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1997 Disco SE 7
138000 miles

Friday drove to and from train without issue.
Saturday afternoon my son was going to take it out but it would not start. Cranked fine but nothing.

I came out later in the evening because its been so dang hot. Cranked fine but no start.

Popped the hood and checked the ignition wires then pressed the inertia button (you never know) and I canked the engine.

It started just like that and ran fine.

Came out this morning for my short drive to the train to go to work and no start again.

Did'nt have time to do any checking this morning but tonight I was going to check the fuel pump, fuel pump relay and make sure I am getting spark when the engine cranks.

ANY OTHER IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS TO ISOLATE THIS PROBLEM? It has run fine for a year. I replaced the fuel pump 18 months ago.
Thanks!

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I replaced the crankcase position sensor last August when I put new cats in. I am going to check the connection on the sensor tonight too.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Check fuel pressure, make sure the alarm isnt having issues by locking/unlocking drivers door 4 times with key.... (I know sounds crazy but I have seen it work many times)

Check the fuse box under the hood for major Corrosion.

Check for power at the fuel pump first, it could be a bad connector on the frame drivers side (they tend to corrode as well).

easy test for spark is to (if it doesn't start by cranking) disconnect the intake hose and spray starting fluid into the intake... if it starts it is a fuel problem, if it doesn't it is spark or alarm issues.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joey. I forgot about the alarm trick. It worked for me before.

I used to know all this when I used to fawn over my baby but sadly over the past couple of years my sons drive it more then I do.

Thanks again.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is turning over, there is no alarm issue. The 2 items I would check first would be the fuel pump relay and the inerita switch, try resetting it.
If those 2 are good, it is sounds to be a crank sensor or a failing pump which are more common to fail in the hotter months.
Don't buy a fuel pump till you have checked everything else. If you need one then consider but a AirTex pump motor only for around $70 instead of a complete new pump assembly for $300 plus.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike. Thanks. I put a new fuel pump motor in about 18 months ago.

I reset the alarm and the inertia switch then cleaned the fuse connection under the hood then the plug connection at the pump. It fired up with one turn of the key.

Funny, I'll never know which of these was the problem, until it happens again.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Inertia switch can be going bad.

Coronan

Reaction score
Some times my rover starts some times it dossent.
I have a 96 d1.

I have done the following.
New fuel filter.
New crank sensor.
fuel pump comes on and makes pressure.
starter cranks over at regular speed.

Issue does not appear to be temp related.
No codes, no cel.
No spark.

Whats next???

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about starting a fresh thread instead of jumping onto someone elses, especially since his issue has yet to be resolved.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9