Do I need these options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dad2five

Reaction score
I am building an LR4 for use in the United States. One of the options is a "Heavy Duty Package" which includes an active locking rear differential. I am not sure I need it. What would it be useful for? I would not be off-roading a lot. The package also includes a full-size spare tire and alloy wheel. The cost of the package is $750. Cost is not a big issue, but I don't want to buy something I don't need.
If I were ordering and waiting for the vehicle, I'd go ahead and get this package, if not just for the full sized spare. The additional rear locking differential will add to your off-roading ability, but as I understand it, many don't find this to be an absolute must. Most times (as in my experience) this comes up when one is looking at a vehicle available on the lot but doesn't have the HD package. I chose not to wait for a new build and bought the vehicle on the lot with everything else that I wanted (save the HD package). Black/black.

What about the "Vision Assist Package."? It includes: Xenon Headlamps, Adaptive Front Lighting (AFS), Automatic High Beam Assist (AHBA), Tow Hitch Assist, Tow Assist and Surround Camera System. What does the tow assist do? If I want a tow hitch, do I need the tow assist?

Even if you aren't going to add tow hitch, the headlamp upgrades are cool and I find the auto high beam to be quite useful. If you *are* going to add a tow hitch then I'd definitely opt for this package as it will help you line up and connect quickly by yourself without a spotter. Tow assist: helps you back up your trailer. Several steps to get it up and going. First, activate it after you attach the trailer (and electronics plug which calls up the option on your touch-screen), then attach a sticker to the trailer so that the camera can follow its movements, then you have to calibrate it by entering the length in cm from your hitch to the trailer axle, then you have to drive forward straight for a bit, and then you have to drive straight back in reverse for a bit. Finally, at that point when you pop into R, instead of seeing the reverse guidelines for the truck in the backup camera, the computer instead calculates how your current steering angle will direct your trailer and shows you those lines instead.

I expect this would be very helpful if you are new to trailering, but if you are experienced at reversing a trailer, this tow assist can very quickly seem like to have too many steps to set up and make work to polish a skill you already have.

Despite those comments, I wanted this package because I always hookup to my trailers alone, and it invariably seems to require 2 or 3 trips in and out of the driver's seat to get it lined up right. Now: first time everytime... (well, I've had the truck 4 days and towed twice, both times were easy.)

What about the surround camera system? How useful is it? Something to consider is I live in the United States where there is a lot more driving space than in most countries. I have driven an SUV for 20 years (1994 Nissan Pathfinder). Is the LR4 so significantly bigger to the point that I need a camera system?
I couldn't live without the backup camera, but haven't found the surrounds to be useful in my US driving.

How about the 480W harman/kardon® LOGIC7® AM/FM single slot CD player with 14 speakers (includes Portable Audio Interface). Is the portable audio interface for a cell phone or music player? Is the stereo a lot better than the standard one? The cost of that package is $900.
I'm diggin my 14 speakers. Haven't heard the 9, so hard to judge if that is just as effective. The portable audio interface will accept an Ipod (via additional cable) and has a usb slot for mp3 files on a jump drive.

What does everyone think of this exterior/interior? Stornoway Grey with Ebony interior.
Awesome, almost as nice as mine...:proud:

If you have the funds and the patience, I'd just say load it all.
chris

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nico3dd