Does a whining sound = failed alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
I'm over 101xxx on my HSE and 3 weeks back, I began to hear a whining sound when I turn the engine on. Over the weekend, i had suspension fault warnings, abs, and all the works icons light up. it drove in limp mode at 30mph back to my house. Today, the battery is close to drained too.

Is this the alternator going bad? Has anyone else had this issue or something similar? Could it be something targeted at the EAS?

Overall, the truck is up to date on all service/new brakes, etc...

Thanks

Trynian

Reaction score
Mine started whining combined with a subtle electrical smell when it started to go out recently.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try searching for "diode pack" - I think in some cases this can be the faulty part of the alternator

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine started whining combined with a subtle electrical smell when it started to go out recently.

Last August I had the same whining. Alternator output was 12.5v. Just replaced the whole thing. it is an fairly easy DIY. All done from the passenger wheel well except taking tension of the idle pulley with a 1/2" drive.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep; mine whined too before I had it replaced. I think I had it changed before it affected my battery, which tests just fine.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
Ok cool. I'm glad to hear the whining is the common warning sound. I should have taken it in a while back but didn't have the time... I had the alternator replaced but because the battery drained down, will that effect its lifespan?

I replaced it over a year ago and hope to get 4+ years out of it like the previous battery.
Thanks for all of the feedback.

I don't post here that much but its nice to know that that there's still a few of you that have been around since 05-06 with your LR3s. At 101xxx, I'm not really interested in getting a new truck. If i did, it would be a ROW 110 or NAS 90 but that's a different conversation. My LR3 drives great, its completely up on service and it does its job both on the road transporting kids, out on the trail when we go exploring.... and everything else in the middle.. I'm very content with it and hope to hang onto it for at least 5 more years...

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Completely draining a battery reduces its life. You may want to have it capacity tested.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635