drive shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clydon

Reaction score
lately in reverse my 97 discovery has been been feeling rough, almost like something is grinding. also when on the highway if i release the gas too abruptly there is a clunking noise. i got an oil change today and was told that where the drive shaft meets meets the rear drive shaft the joint is on its way out, not sure exactly what its called. anyone have this problem? is it an easy fix, something i could replace myself or is it an inexpensive repair?

samroverguy

Reaction score
lately in reverse my 97 discovery has been been feeling rough, almost like something is grinding. also when on the highway if i release the gas too abruptly there is a clunking noise. i got an oil change today and was told that where the drive shaft meets meets the rear drive shaft the joint is on its way out, not sure exactly what its called. anyone have this problem? is it an easy fix, something i could replace myself or is it an inexpensive repair?

You can do it yourself. I did one once and I think I got the driveshaft rebuilt by a local guy. It was not terribly expensive, but it was a little Saturday job.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe you are talking about the donut looking part, it is called the flexible coupling... this tends to go bad and cause the issue you are having... I would also look into changing the U-joints while you are at it.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joey is correct - I just had mine done while down in LA - 2000 miles from home and my tools (ouch - not cheap)! but if you want to have real fun - just wait for the rear-end to go and then replace the whole thing with an ARB air-operated locker rig; they are amazing!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM