Driveline Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lexustbs

Reaction score
I have a 08' with 51k miles. When driving with load on the driveline or lightly accelerating there is a driveline whirr or hum. If I take power off the wheels and coast the noise will quit. Noticed that if I drive around 30mph that I can hear a noise that sounds on and off in intensity, like something makes a revolution and has a bad spot. Here is the test so far.....

-LR put the truck on a lift and used a mic to detect noise. They said the diffs and transfer case were fine.

- I have shook the wheels to check for a loose wheel bearing but there is no play.

Any thoughts as to what it could be? I'm thinking of changing the wheel bearings and see what that does. Does the 08' LR3 have diff problems or were they corrected in earlier models?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi;

The differentials go bad, bearing rust out and so on. Doing maintenance more regularly can extend the time before you have problems. Your problem could be any number of things. Often a bad wheel bearing can be misdiagnosed as a bad diff, because the sound travels on these. Having a set of Ears on it and drive it.

I can't imagine your able to drive it 30mph on the rack, that may be part of the problem. I recently replaced my drive shaft, which solved the last of my driveline vibration. Of course I had 129k and do not expect yours is bad yet.

You can't really "shake" the wheels to check for wheel bearings, or steering bits on these, they are too heavy.

A set of these are almost a must for diagnosing these vehicles. http://www.etoolcart.com/Steelman-Chassis-Ears-STE6600.aspx

Feel free to drop me a PM with e-mail, I'll drop you a line with my number and we can discuss it.

TurboMeTroy

Reaction score
I have exact same issue and would really like some input from the seasoned LR3 guys.
I've had over 300 cars in my time, and *usually* I'd point to a wheel bearing with these symptoms too...but ......

In previous experience:

- the sound would change/go away when I turned the wheel. -Not the case here.
- It doesn't appear to be there (at any speed) if I'm NOT accelerating,..but the instant, literally the instant, I tap the gas, it comes back -makes me think it's a drive line issue like a U-joint

Notes: Since it is so responsive to gas, and above 30 mph (until about 55mph and/or it fades out), I even considered it to be 'the way the motor sounds' or even something related to the exhaust (a leak or something)...

Anyone!?

PLEASE HELP.

Trynian

Reaction score
Check the rear driveline carrier bushing. Mine went out around 60k. It is hidden by the heat shield but if you get under the car you can shake it up and down. the rubber part around the metal bearing seems to ware out. it is going out again on mine. it is not detrimental but does vibrate and make more noise once the rubber dampening is gone.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a glass of water in the cup holder, and you should be able to see the vibrations if it is drive line or bearing related there will be oscillation, if it's a "noise" that you can hear, it might not necessarily translate to a vibration/oscillation. The most likely culprits are wheel bearings, and diffs, that being said, drive shaft carrier, cv joints, a/c's and alternators can also make noise, whirring, etc. You will have to get your hands dirty to solve this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4