Drivers Side Floorboard Wet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mj4x4s

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 2016 LR4 LUX. We noticed a smell (like cat ***) inside the vehicle. We searched and noticed that the floorboard on the drivers side is wet. I called the dealership and cost to fix could run anywhere from $700 - $3,000. They said it could be the sunroof drain tubes or HVAC unit leaking and condensation is builing up inside.

Any easy fix suggestins would be helpful.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open your sunroof and clear the drain holes. One on each side. Its tiny holes looking towards the hood of the truck. It’s most likely that man. It could be your windshield cowl but in my experience/leaks that occurs on the passenger floor board. The driver side floor is most likely the sunroof drains. $700-3k? Are they nuts lol. How about $6.99 for a can of compressed air.

Rberkel

Reaction score
If the A-pillar is not wet then it is most likely the sunroof drain tube rubber grommet (part that goes through the body). They often become brittle and dissolve so the water from the sunroof no longer drains into the wheelarch.
Plenty of video's on YT about how to fix it. Best to buy a new set (pn EEH500100. https://www.amazon.com/Rldym-EEH500100-Sunroof-Connector-Compatible/dp/B09QYVW3ZZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1QEE33F2A577K&keywords=LR3+sunroof+drain+tube&qid=1701882979&sprefix=lr3+sunroof+drain+tube,aps,206&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1) and replace them both. The rubber grommet is also sold seperately but preferred method is to replace the complete hose.
The one on the passenger side is more difficult to replace due to the fuse box removel but can be done.
Also good to check the ones in the rear. Due to the angle of the hose they tend to kink the grommet causing reduced flow capacity.

Make sure you remove all the water collected below the plastic cover (front to back) in the door entrance. Water could cause corrosion on the wires (branched locations) which can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the windshield cowl too. This can be checked by lowering the glove box and inspecting around the cabin filter.

Usually its the front sun roof drains inside the front footwells. There's a rubber elbow the deteriorates and leaks.
The replacement elbow can be bought from VOLVO for a few dollars. Part # 30753148

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the windshield cowl too. This can be checked by lowering the glove box and inspecting around the cabin filter.

Usually its the front sun roof drains inside the front footwells. There's a rubber elbow the deteriorates and leaks.
The replacement elbow can be bought from VOLVO for a few dollars. Part # 30753148
Where is the elbow located within the sunroof drain routing? I've blown out my drains before, but I've never inspected an elbow.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two of these elbows, Both in the front foot well area, Driver's side is up about 12" above the dead pedal. Right side is right next to the fuse box. Pull the right kick panel cover for better access.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to check my drain lines, but don't have an air compressor. Is running some fence wire down in there an acceptable way to unclog any potential blocks?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran trimmer line through mine, it's plastic, and you can blunt the end so it doesn't catch on things. I'd be worried about wire poking through things.
That sounds like a better method. For accessing the hole to run the line through, I was thinking maybe try to stand up from inside through the sunroof like a party animal in a limo or by standing on ladder from the outside and then reaching over. How are you gaining access to the holes to run the line?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72