Drivers Side Floorboard Wet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That opening is pretty small…. and I’m a small guy.
I placed plywood over the running rails and lied on it. Tried the ladder method but couldn’t get close enough to see it.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That opening is pretty small…. and I’m a small guy.
I placed plywood over the running rails and lied on it. Tried the ladder method but couldn’t get close enough to see it.
Clever. When you run the line through the hole, how do you know the line has gone far enough? I'm not sure where the end points are lol.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did it with a short step ladder from the outside, the holes are in the corner, it would be a lot harder from inside IMO.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clever. When you run the line through the hole, how do you know the line has gone far enough? I'm not sure where the end points are lol.
I pulled the air intake grill out of the fender - PITA to release, but the drain is behind them. Once cleared with the trimmer line, I ran hot water through to flush.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I contemplated removing the grill. But I was afraid of breaking the clips. So i just compared the length of cord to the length from the sunroof corner, to the A pillar, to the grill.
Then, as others, poured a cup of hot water into the cavity.

thebruce

Reaction score
Hey there - yea standard issue on all LRs. I constantly am cleaning out my drains before storms come through in California.

So on a 2016 I would not expect the grommets or tubing has disintegrated, so it's 99% a clogged drain on the driver side front drain. If its wet on the passenger side front floor board its the passenger front drain. The places to check are both front floor boards and at the rear doors where the carpet meets the door trim. There are 4 drains in for corners of the sunroof, any one of them can be clogged. But if you have a bunch of water leaking at the front, it may be wet in the rear door too, even if that rear drain isn't clogged. There is a channel the water can migrate from front to back while driving...and it's of course a channel for electrical conduit. LR designers were morons when it came to this stuff.

The workshop manual to test is to pour a little bit of water in each of the 4 corners of the sunroof and then look under the car to see if it's dripping down below. You will see quickly with drain is backed up as it will pool in that corner of the sunroof. You can also unclip the windscreen to get a better view of the front drains in the sunroof.

The front passenger drain is easiest. You can just remove the side vent and blow compressed air through the drain tube. You just pull up and out on the vent, then remove the rubber foam thing and the end of the drain is behind that. Open the sunroof just enough to allow air to flow - but not enough when the eventual water and crap comes shooting out it goes all over your interior (ask me why I know). Also..be careful not to put too much pressure on that hose. My indy recommend blowing the air indirectly, or your can risk blowing the hose fittings off and have a MUCH bigger leak on your hands where u need to remove interior to replace those hoses.

The driver side and rear drains are harder because you need to remove the left front and 2 rear wheel well arches to access the drain tubes. The workshop manual says you can "partially remove" them but I haven't found an easy way to do this.

So I have been looking for a faster way to clear the driver door drain. If anyone has specific recommendations pls share. I tried the weedwacker trimmer line but what happens on the driver side drain is the line doesnt go down the drain tube, instead it goes into the sunroof frame itself. There is a Y channel in the top of the drain so water can drain from either side of the sunroof frame, and instead of going down the drain tube it just ends up going sideways. Seems impossible to try to guide it.

Ive not had as much luck trying to blow compressed air from the top drain.

My indy charges like $230 for 1hr to clean all 4 drains out.

I will say...knock on wood...that even thought this is a huge PITA, and makes the car smell like crap, after having it happen in both my LR3 and LR4 ive not had any electrical issues...which is the only plus.

I attached the technical bulletin on it with LR recommended procedures. Their LR procedures are always super flimsy and misses the key details, like how do you "partially remove" the wheel arches :) The workshop manual is written in the same generic way.

Attachments

• Land Rover - LA-501-012 - Water Ingress.pdf
    262.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there - yea standard issue on all LRs. I constantly am cleaning out my drains before storms come through in California.

So on a 2016 I would not expect the grommets or tubing has disintegrated, so it's 99% a clogged drain on the driver side front drain. If its wet on the passenger side front floor board its the passenger front drain. The places to check are both front floor boards and at the rear doors where the carpet meets the door trim. There are 4 drains in for corners of the sunroof, any one of them can be clogged. But if you have a bunch of water leaking at the front, it may be wet in the rear door too, even if that rear drain isn't clogged. There is a channel the water can migrate from front to back while driving...and it's of course a channel for electrical conduit. LR designers were morons when it came to this stuff.

The workshop manual to test is to pour a little bit of water in each of the 4 corners of the sunroof and then look under the car to see if it's dripping down below. You will see quickly with drain is backed up as it will pool in that corner of the sunroof. You can also unclip the windscreen to get a better view of the front drains in the sunroof.

The front passenger drain is easiest. You can just remove the side vent and blow compressed air through the drain tube. You just pull up and out on the vent, then remove the rubber foam thing and the end of the drain is behind that. Open the sunroof just enough to allow air to flow - but not enough when the eventual water and crap comes shooting out it goes all over your interior (ask me why I know). Also..be careful not to put too much pressure on that hose. My indy recommend blowing the air indirectly, or your can risk blowing the hose fittings off and have a MUCH bigger leak on your hands where u need to remove interior to replace those hoses.

The driver side and rear drains are harder because you need to remove the left front and 2 rear wheel well arches to access the drain tubes. The workshop manual says you can "partially remove" them but I haven't found an easy way to do this.

So I have been looking for a faster way to clear the driver door drain. If anyone has specific recommendations pls share. I tried the weedwacker trimmer line but what happens on the driver side drain is the line doesnt go down the drain tube, instead it goes into the sunroof frame itself. There is a Y channel in the top of the drain so water can drain from either side of the sunroof frame, and instead of going down the drain tube it just ends up going sideways. Seems impossible to try to guide it.

Ive not had as much luck trying to blow compressed air from the top drain.

My indy charges like $230 for 1hr to clean all 4 drains out.

I will say...knock on wood...that even thought this is a huge PITA, and makes the car smell like crap, after having it happen in both my LR3 and LR4 ive not had any electrical issues...which is the only plus.

I attached the technical bulletin on it with LR recommended procedures. Their LR procedures are always super flimsy and misses the key details, like how do you "partially remove" the wheel arches :) The workshop manual is written in the same generic way.

I was quoted $188 from my indy to blow out the sunroof drains. I went for it. The job sounds like a PITA and I'd need to buy a step stool that I wouldn't use for anything else. Then there is the problem where I don't have an air compressor. It sounds like you clog the drains frequently. Do you park under a tree and how often are you doing the maintenance?

thebruce

Reaction score
Yea parked under a tree that has little seeds which are perfectly round and fit exactly in the drain holes, and at an angle with front passenger sider as the low point. If im religious about getting them blown out every winter before the California winter storms roll through, im usually ok. If a storm comes early it's a mess. On my LR3 we opened the passenger door and water came gushing out...

My indy is 45 mins away so I try to do it myself as well. I can get the front passenger drain no problem but im experimenting with methods to get the others. We have a storm coming through so my experiment this weekend is to use compressed air cans and one of the new battery powered compressed air guns to see if I can blow them out from the top. If so, I will report back.

thebruce

Reaction score
Yea my experiment going in from the top drain on the driver side is a 100% fail. I just ended up dumping more water in the floorboard testing it. Im going to have to take off the wheel arch liner to get at it and blow up from the bottom, like you do on the passenger side.

L Crist

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my. I just dealt with this last year and that same cat **** smell! From what I understand it is a common issue. I attempted to clear the lines myself to no avail. I think i may have pushed the debris into another spot. My driveway is also squarely under a giant sycamore tree that spews debris 365/year. Because my job was crazy busy at the time and Los Angeles kept getting rain, I left my LR4 with the guys at the dealership in Pasadena to fix. Ran me about 1300 bucks total but they gave me a nice loaner, changed the cabin filter, and detailed my LR4 for me to rid the smell. Seemed outrageous when I saw the initial bill but this was one of those times when the money outweighs the time spent.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72