driver's side mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

ayavner

Hey all - cracked the drivers side mirror.. looks like about $250 to replace the whole thing, or $27 just for the glass... is that pretty straight forward? Haven't looked in the shop manual yet, but has anyone done this?

$27 seem like a good price for the glass?

cheers,
adam

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the exact same thing happen to mine except the mirror was intact but the small plastic mounting bracket broke causing mirror to dangle. Dealership wanted to replace entire housing for $289. Did the mirror come off when cracked? If so you may need a need bracket for the mirror. I got one of these for $1.98 cents from Atlantic British. The bracket is snapped on by three or four connecting points released by carefully prying with screw driver. It is possible to crack your bracket when releasing mirror. Release mirror by prying from either left or right side in the middle of the mirror. There is a small plastic post running verticle on either side and this needs to be pushed towards the front of the housing. You may want to buy a extra bracket just in case this happens. The removal and installation should take about ten minutes.( my wife was amazed how quickly it was done)

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to ask, are your mirror's motorized, and what year. P.S. My shop manual didn't have anything on this.

A

ayavner

its a 2001 disco, and they are motorized. The mirror did not come off, it just got a nice little split from top to bottom in the middle... kinda like looking into bifocals... hehe

A

ayavner

well received the mirror glass today, didn't come with any clips.. so are you saying that the clips or whatever are built-in to the housing? i was expecting some kind of arrangement like the way the door panels pop in, or the little nylon clips that the headlights pop in with. Hesitant to take the old one off if i am missing something.

A

ayavner

OK evidently I am ********... took the old one off, that wasn't too hard. It appears British Pacific sent me the wrong part - its wayy too big, and not even the same shape. But thats another story.

I dont see any conceivable way to get my old one back in... especially without breaking it. There are 2 electrical connectors, then 2 slots running vertical on the mirrors back. dont see any brackets, per se. If you manage to get one side in on the mount, there doesn't seem to be any way (short of alot of force) to get the other side in.

The shop manual doesn't cover this... so, I am stuck with an empty mirror housing, and the wrong replacement. Do I need to take the housing completely off and apart to get the glass back in? i don't wanna break the replacement, when it comes.

This is the motorized mirror on a 2001 d2.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4