Dumb Question - Does LR3 come with a Tow Bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

tmil01

I got a Certified 2005 LR3 a little while ago and just now noticed that it doesn't have a tow bar:

towbar.jpg

Is this standard equipment? Or is it an optional item you need to purchase (it's about $300)?

The reason I ask is because the manual doesn't indicate that it's an optional thing.

Thanks.

Airboss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll have to buy that along with the wiring harness. I can't remember how much they cost, sorry.

But be sure you understand the towing capacities. Yes, the LR3 can pull 7700# max. but it only has a max tongue weight of 550#. This is a major limiting factor that you should consider before spending the $500+ for the towing equipment.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Notice the wording, your vehicle is equipped with a tow bar HOUSING, which is nothing more than the hole that the tow bar fits into. I believe it is somewhere around $450-500 for the hitch and wiring. I haven't popped for it yet, use my old LR if I need to tow.

T

tmil01

Right! I guess I'm a little confused with how the manual indicates something is optional versus standard. I always thought the * meant optional. For example:

hitch.jpg

To me this image says the trailer hitch is something you need to go out and buy, not the tow bar. The rest of the chapter goes on to talk about where you can find the tow bar in the truck, how to install it, etc. Because of that, I just assumed it's supposed to come with the LR.

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a missing piece in the purchase.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BAck in late 2004,early 2005, The LR3 did have and optional "Towing Package" which was essentially a receiver. While the manual was written as it is where the impression is given that every car comes with a receiver, it does not.
If you are still after a receiver, the orginal option sheet may say the car has the "Tow Package" and if that is the case, you would have evidence that it was part of the car and you may have some leverage. Otherwise, it is an accessory.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4