EBC yellowstuff and EBC GD rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am five hundred miles or so into my new front pads and rotors. Great stopping power. No fade either. big improvement over stockers. I have EBC Green on the rear and was liking them so i went with the yellow and slotted/drilled in the front. Yeah i know it would be ideal to have the same compound. ... and I will when i get new rears and rear rotors in a few thousand miles. I do some towing in the sierras and every day come down the 2 out of la canada, so i have felt the old ones fading...
I have always used EBC but this is the first rotor change on this pig.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to do this when the OEM brakes give out on mine (I am so sick of the noisy squeaks) but that bed in process seems like a long process. Did you follow that? I've never had brakes that stated that much.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to do this when the OEM brakes give out on mine (I am so sick of the noisy squeaks) but that bed in process seems like a long process. Did you follow that? I've never had brakes that stated that much.
Yes and no. I basically just drive conservatively for a couple weeks after and then do a couple runs down the big hill coming to a stop from 60. Then let them cool and repeat. Takes maybe ten minutes. After that I don’t worry about it. My mechanic says don’t worry about it but it’s not much of a deal so I do it.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So why yellow over green? Why not orange over yellow? I did some research on the EBC lines and I don't know if I should just soak into the full stack of HD "truck" versions of orange or just save a few $$ on yellow.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So why yellow over green? Why not orange over yellow? I did some research on the EBC lines and I don't know if I should just soak into the full stack of HD "truck" versions of orange or just save a few $$ on yellow.
I don't know EBC's lineup intimately, but Orangestuff is billed as a "full race" pad. Be careful if you go there... race pads tend to have poor cold bite, create a bit more dust, and have shorter lifespan. And they usually cost a bundle. Based on the product selector chart and spider charts, it looks like Yellows are the best compromise. (I was going to say avoid ceramics, but EBC does not even offer their ceramic Redstuff pad for the LR4. Interesting.)

Fuji4, what brand/type of pads had you been using previously, where you felt some fade under hard use?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuji4, what brand/type of pads had you been using previously, where you felt some fade under hard use?
Whatever OE are. Stock pads and rotors.
The yellowstuff and rotors just keep getting better. I have started harder braking now and can say that it feels like a 30% improvement in bite and stopping power.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it - thanks! OE/OEM are Ferodo, which have been adequate for our normal street driving (no towing, no off-roading, no descending mountain grades).

I've used Porterfield R4-S carbon-kevlar on some of my cars with excellent results, but they are a little spendy. Looks like $130 front, $70 rear:

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/product_info.php?productID=24003

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/product_info.php?productID=2446

Then again, the EBC yellows appear to be ~$150 front, ~$125 rear, list price.

For reference, Importec has the OEM Ferodos for ~$75 front, ~$50 rear.

And, the OE/Genuine pads are insane at $267 list (front, LR051626) and $120 (rear, LR055455).

:eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM