Engine light came on with Restricted Perfomance Message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crank position sensors fail pretty often on other cars. The constant heat cycling damage them. In my old rover, a bad sensor would make the truck inoperable. You had to wait for the sensor to cool down and then the truck would start but the CEL would stay on. A trick to not waiting was to pour water over the sensor to cool off quicker. Replace the sensor and all should be fine.

Thanks for the reply! One thing I didn't mention was that at first, I couldn't get the car to start. I would hit the Start button, but it would be as if I did not step on the brake while starting. After 3 tries, I exited the car, waited about 3 minutes to let everything reset without the key inside. Went back in, tried to start, same thing. Then I realized that perhaps I just wasn't stepping on the brake hard enough -- possibly because it was so cold outside and the brake might have froze a bit?? In any case, I stepped on the brake harder, and then it started. But then that's when I got the CEL and the red exclamation light, and the "Restricted Performance" message. I'm wondering if all of those false starts could have anything to do with the fault code? I'm tempted to just reset the fault and see if it comes back... but wanted to know if that can cause more damage. In any case the soonest I'd be able to take the car in would be on Monday.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also would like to know if the crank position sensor is expensive to replace. How much can I expect to pay for parts and labor?

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see the CPS online for $65. Buy it and install it yourself.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An update for anyone else who might run into the "Restricted Performance" problem with CEL and code P0018 -- I cleared the code a week ago and so far everything seems fine and the code has not returned. So let's hope it was just a fluke...

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another update -- I got the Restricted Performance a second time a couple weeks ago. Again, it was in Breckenridge, but it was a warm day in the 40's. So it might be related to the high altitude and not weather. It was gone within a couple of starts, and hasn't been back since.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the only way to fix these issues for certain is to buy a Land Cruiser....

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi all, is there a tutorial on a DIY install? I've encountered the same error code during cold start ups and some other random times. After deleting the codes the issue goes away for a few months.

mko9

Reaction score
I got the yellow check engine light on start up last night. Fortunately, I was only a couple blocks from home. There is an AutoZone right down the street, so I went to go get codes read today - P0171 and P0174. I have an appointment for them to come pick up the car on Tuesday. It's still under warranty, so I will let them deal with it. Otherwise my first thiing would be to clean the MAF.

EDIT: Dealer write up says a hose to the intake had fallen off. They just had the truck a week or so previous to replace the water pump. I am betting someone forgot to tighten up a hose clamp as they were putting things back together.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72