Engine oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks ... the engine is leaking oil down the passanger side and is spraying the whole bottom of the truck from the front diff to the rear. The efin dealer has been filling up the crankcase with 7 liters of oil at each oil change. The manual shows 5.8 required. Just had my last oil change done on Jan 26th and the asshats again topped it up with 7 liters of oil. Now I have to take it back and see what the problem is.... Oh, the warrenty expired on Jan 31, 2007.

So ... any idea as to what the problem area/cause is?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
With filter change it should take almost 7 quarts of oil. can you get a pick of where the oil is leaking from... if not spray it off with some degreaser and a pressure washer then take a pic after driving for a while....

This will help with any diagnostics that anyone can provide.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
joey said:
With filter change it should take almost 7 quarts of oil. can you get a pick of where the oil is leaking from... if not spray it off with some degreaser and a pressure washer then take a pic after driving for a while....

This will help with any diagnostics that anyone can provide.
Dipstick shows it to be about a liter and a bit .... too much!!! Past the second L in full.

The manual states a oil & filter change = 5.8 liters!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If it is that full, then that explains the leaking oil... I know my 97 takes about 6.5 quarts of oil when changing the filter as well.

But I also check it via the dip stick every time to make sure I don't over fill it.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got backfrom the dealer ... it turns out the oil filer had a crack in it and was leaking out the side. They replaced it and lowered the oil to the correct level with Castol.

The Service manager checked into the level issue and realized that there was an issue. I got to talk to him, the foreman and several wrenches. I showed them the manual and it's recommendation on an oil & filter replacement. They agreed the manual was correct and the confirmed my truck takes only 5.9 liters of oil. They are making sure others are aware. They were instructed to fill to 6.4 liters according to a bulletin. They are also going to recalibrate the bulk oil dispenser. Now, when ever I fill up the oil, I always chek the dipstick, same as with my friends Porsche Garage . Seems the wrenches are getting lazy!!!! This also happens at other manufacturers dealers such as GM, Ford, Subaru etc.

Thanks for the assistance,

Last edited by a moderator:

Eekie

Reaction score
What leaks or what damage could occur if the oil is overfilled? When I mention overfill I mean by nothing more than half a quart.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Half a quart should not cause any issues (notice should not), but 1 quart and continuing, will eventually start causing the engine to over pressurize which will start blowing seals and may even cause other odd issues.

Eekie

Reaction score
I kinda thought it would reak havoc with the seals but I never overfilled and engine with oil before (I felt like a rookie all over again). When I change my oil I overfilled by about a quarter to a half quart at the most. I drained out the overfill the following day and got it back to the normal level. That's what I get for using the gallon jugs of castrol. I'll buy indiviual quarts next time so I can better monitor the oil input. Why is it I never had any issues with working on all my vehicles since I was 16 and I get a LR and I F'ed up an oil change. Holy hell I feel like it was the first one I ever did LOL!. Damn Land Rovers. Gotta love 'em. All is good...

Has anyone noticed that if you put your oil dipstick in one way and check your oil and then insert it back in rotated 180 degrees and check it again it gives you a different reading. I think that is why I accidentally overfilled the oil. I never had that happen on any of my other vehicles. Just an observation I made after a few Budweisers....

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You can still buy the gallon jugs, just remember to pour a couple quarts out of one (into an approved container, like maybe an old oil quart container) then you can still do this work without issues.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635