Engine troubles - 3.0L SC V6 - possible multiple-injector failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fields Carlisle

Reaction score
This morning about an hour ago I was merging onto the interstate when trouble began. I noticed a shaking start as I neared 70mph and it got worse depending on the amount of throttle applied. It didn’t stop even as I continued a mile or so down the road. By this time I was already thinking the worse so I pulled off at the next exit ramp. At the top of the ramp thick smoke started pouring out of the exhaust, the shaking got worse and the engine was idling at less than 600rpm. I struggled to even get into the gas station, at which point the CEL finally illuminated. Then it died. So now I’m sitting here waiting at a gas station for AAA to tow my rig to the dealer. Oil has always been changed more frequently than recommended and always used synthetic. I have had all the preventative maintenance done such as diff and transfer case fluid changes. I am really hoping this is something simple like a bad injector or HPFP, but who knows. I’ve always said this thing idled extremely rough, even had it looked at by both local dealers who said it was normal for the rough idle. This issue today makes me like my other car, a Tesla, even better. Not having an expensive and complex engine to repair is a huge bonus.

My LR4 only has 65,000 miles on it. This is the first time ever I have been stranded by a car so new and low mileage. Barely 5 years old.

2020D0AC-42A4-4948-8B21-518413A3A53D.jpeg

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the misfortune but here's to a speedy fix that doesn't hurt too much. I know that many if not all of us are standing by to hear the diagnosis and treatment plan.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems weird that the CEL didn't pop on until the end of that ordeal, as if to say, "Oh yeah, by the way, something's up."

Fields Carlisle

Reaction score
Seems weird that the CEL didn't pop on until the end of that ordeal, as if to say, "Oh yeah, by the way, something's up."
I did too. The smoke and vibration was the tell tale sign of issues, not the CEL. If they say it’s complete engine failure I think I’ll throw up.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black smoke, white smoke, or oily blue smoke?

I would tell you to pull the dipstick and see if the oil looks like chocolate milk, but these damn things don't have a dipstick. Which still aggravates me to no end....

Fields Carlisle

Reaction score
Black smoke, white smoke, or oily blue smoke?

I would tell you to pull the dipstick and see if the oil looks like chocolate milk, but these damn things don't have a dipstick. Which still aggravates me to no end....
It was thick whitish blue smoke. I’d think supercharger but it wouldn’t even start after it died.i did take the oil filler cap off she at least the oil on the bottom of the cap looked normal.

Last edited:

Fields Carlisle

Reaction score
Just went by and took my IIDTool. Of course there’s no stored faults for the engine. It did start today but I immediately cut it off as the thick oily smoke was pouring out and it didn’t sound quite right. No CEL was illuminated when the car was running. Very frustrating that the car could have catastrophic engine problems and it hasn’t even stored a single fault, yet there were 12 ECU faults for minor things like the driver seat motor, HVAC, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72