Engine troubles - 3.0L SC V6 - possible multiple-injector failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edward2595

Reaction score
Black smoke would be fuel related, white smoke is coolant and blue smoke is oil. With no CEL and white blue smoke sounds like you might possibly have a cracked engine block. I'm assuming you checked the coolant level and it was ok? If no CEL it's most likely something mechanical meaning not a part connected to an electrical circuit so more likely catastrophic engine failure or some type of gasket failure. I've got the same LR4 with the same mileage and it's always disheartening to see these posts.

Fields Carlisle

Reaction score
Black smoke would be fuel related, white smoke is coolant and blue smoke is oil. With no CEL and white blue smoke sounds like you might possibly have a cracked engine block. I'm assuming you checked the coolant level and it was ok? If no CEL it's most likely something mechanical meaning not a part connected to an electrical circuit so more likely catastrophic engine failure or some type of gasket failure. I've got the same LR4 with the same mileage and it's always disheartening to see these posts.

so the dealer just called and said there are multiple injectors stuck open. Which is quite odd. I hadn’t recently filled up with fuel and I’ve always religiously put premium fuel in from trusted brands like Sheetz, Shell, etc. I asked if they had any other explanation or cause of the supposed sudden injectors going crazy and they are going to find out more. He said all of the injectors on one bank and one injector on other bank of cylinders was stuck open. Anyone have any ideas on causation? I was merging onto freeway so I was giving it the beans when the issue occurred.

Fields Carlisle

Reaction score
so the dealer just called and said there are multiple injectors stuck open. Which is quite odd. I hadn’t recently filled up with fuel and I’ve always religiously put premium fuel in from trusted brands like Sheetz, Shell, etc. I asked if they had any other explanation or cause of the supposed sudden injectors going crazy and they are going to find out more. He said all of the injectors on one bank and one injector on other bank of cylinders was stuck open. Anyone have any ideas on causation? I was merging onto freeway so I was giving it the beans when the issue occurred.
Also, there’s no sign of oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. The oil was nice and golden brown from what I could see in the oil cap and on timing chain. Coolant was bright orange.

Last edited:

Fields Carlisle

Reaction score
The dealer wants nearly $4,000 to replace the 6 injectors. I about passed out when they said it would be that much. They’re claiming $2800 of it is in parts. I can find injectors on Atlantic British for the 5.0L V8 for $899.99 including the seal kit, but I can’t find any injectors online for the V6 outside of JLR dealers. One question I have, does anyone know if there’s any difference in the injectors used for Jaguar models with this same engine? They have different part numbers, the Jaguar part is AJ813715 whereas the LR part number is LR079541. Being the engines make the same power, come off the same line, etc. I doubt there’s any difference but I wanted to see if anyone knew for sure.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you cross reference the manufacturer part numbers to a injector manufacturer part number?

I'm guessing they are Bosch, or similar. I would probably try it from that angle.

Reaction score
That is terrible news for you and the LR4. Is it not covered under a power train warranty? WHen I bought mine used it came with a 100K PT warranty.

I wonder if this will be an emerging issue for the V6 as more reach the 60k+ milage mark. I am at 51K now.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the dealer just called and said there are multiple injectors stuck open. Which is quite odd. ......... He said all of the injectors on one bank and one injector on other bank of cylinders was stuck open. .......

With multiple injector failures, that one bank had all fail, I'm not feeling really comfortable with just replacing fuel injectors. Injectors are just solenoids that the ECU actuates with ground. Remove the ground and internal springs return it to closed. One injector fail due to mechanical/electrical failure? OK. ALL injectors on a bank fail at the same time? Hmmmm .......... fuel contamination. I'd be consideriing a complete fuel system flush before installing the new injectors. In addition can the injectors be cleaned? Maybe even in place? I'd be having a sit down conversation with the mechanic on root cause given the "All" aspect.

Edward2595

Reaction score
With multiple injector failures, that one bank had all fail, I'm not feeling really comfortable with just replacing fuel injectors. Injectors are just solenoids that the ECU actuates with ground. Remove the ground and internal springs return it to closed. One injector fail due to mechanical/electrical failure? OK. ALL injectors on a bank fail at the same time? Hmmmm .......... fuel contamination. I'd be consideriing a complete fuel system flush before installing the new injectors. In addition can the injectors be cleaned? Maybe even in place? I'd be having a sit down conversation with the mechanic on root cause given the "All" aspect.

^^^completely agree with this^^^

Fields Carlisle

Reaction score
I'm really not sure this LR dealer is competent. They're trying to tell me it would be $4000 to do just injectors, I asked if it could be fuel contamination and they're trying to say they can't tell. I asked if they checked HPFP was functioning correctly and they're not sure and said "the sensors in this car don't tell you which injectors or not working or if the HPFP is the problem. I'm really unsure of what to do. I'm already going to be out the cost of their "diagnosis". I would NEVER pay $4000 to get them to replace 6-fuel injectors ever. I'm going to call over later this morning and ask to speak to the mechanic instead of this service advisor trying to play telephone with my questions and giving me answers that don't even make sense.

I know for sure they can tell exactly which cylinders are experiencing misfires, which injectors are allegedly throwing codes of "stuck open", and measure fuel rail pressures, etc.

These half baked answers and outrageous cost to replace 6 injectors just make me question the honesty or even competence of these people. These are the same people that put the wrong diff fluid in after I told them 10 ways to Sunday to make sure to use the correct locker fluid.

Additionally, does anyone know what the difference is between the current injectors and the injectors used in 2013 SCV6 engines (Jaguar models) and all 5.0L V8 (NA AND SC) all the way from 2010-today?

Their Bosch part number, which was impossible to track down without calling Bosch several times and doing a day's worth of investigation, is almost identical except the last digit is one number off. WorldPac says the "older" injectors (Bosch part : 0 261 500 296) is compatible with my LR4 Or any current 3.0L SCV6. It was the OE part used in 2013 models, at which point they switched to ( 0 261 500 297). The part ending 297 is not available from any place EXCEPT JLR dealers where the cost is 400% higher than the injectors ending 296 (which is the current injectors used in 5.0L V8 and 2013 V6). I can buy them direct from Bosch as an "aftermarket" injector (part 62820) or a set of 8 from Atlantic British for $899/$119 a piece, even RockAuto has the injectors for $80/piece. JLR wants $400 PER INJECTOR which is robbery to me.

WorldPac says they're the same part, just a different number that’s exclusive to JLR dealers under some licensing agreement or whatnot. Nobody at Bosch is willing to disclose differences between the two. They’re identical in appearance, I know they work in the V8 models and 2013 Jaguar V6 models and they cost $300/injector less. I'm keen to hope that's true but before I bought them and had them installed I don't want to get something that won't work. I'm not aware of any changes between 2013 and even today's 3.0L SCV6, and the engines are essentially identical to the 5.0L V8 minus two cylinders and different cylinder bore sizes. Everything else is essentially a clone. If I can save $2400 in parts cost and they’d work I see no reason not to get them myself and have the JLR dealer install those. They said they would. My biggest concern is putting in $600 worth of new parts + labor and then the JLR dealer calling to inform me that unfortunately they had misdiagnosed the issue and it’s really this or that. I almost feel like it’s an ECM or electrical issue if multiple injectors are stuck open. I hadn’t gotten fuel in over a week and had used 3/4ths of it before anything happened. I always use premium, not that it really matters in quality, but I get it from legitimate places. Unless someone poured something in my fuel tank I don’t see how contamination would suddenly strike and cause multiple injectors to fail. It’s just so puzzling to me. I don’t want to spend thousands of dollars chasing down a mysterious problem that may or may not be what they say. It sucks being out of warranty.

I’ll likely sell this thing after it’s fixed and get a new truck or something. I don’t like being on the hook for huge out of pocket expenses that add no value to the vehicle when it’s time to sell.

Last edited:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really not sure this LR dealer is competent. They're trying to tell me it would be $4000 to do just injectors, I asked if it could be fuel contamination and they're trying to say they can't tell. I asked if they checked HPFP was functioning correctly and they're not sure and said "the sensors in this car don't tell you which injectors or not working or if the HPFP is the problem. I'm really unsure of what to do. I'm already going to be out the cost of their "diagnosis". I would NEVER pay $4000 to get them to replace 6-fuel injectors ever. I'm going to call over later this morning and ask to speak to the mechanic instead of this service advisor trying to play telephone with my questions and giving me answers that don't even make sense.

I know for sure they can tell exactly which cylinders are experiencing misfires, which injectors are allegedly throwing codes of "stuck open", and measure fuel rail pressures, etc.

These half baked answers and outrageous cost to replace 6 injectors just make me question the honesty or even competence of these people. These are the same people that put the wrong diff fluid in after I told them 10 ways to Sunday to make sure to use the correct locker fluid.

Additionally, does anyone know what the difference is between the current injectors and the injectors used in 2013 SCV6 engines (Jaguar models) and all 5.0L V8 (NA AND SC) all the way from 2010-today?

Their Bosch part number, which was impossible to track down without calling Bosch several times and doing a day's worth of investigation, is almost identical except the last digit is one number off. WorldPac says the "older" injectors (Bosch part : 0 261 500 296) is compatible with my LR4 Or any current 3.0L SCV6. It was the OE part used in 2013 models, at which point they switched to ( 0 261 500 297). The part ending 297 is not available from any place EXCEPT JLR dealers where the cost is 400% higher than the injectors ending 296 (which is the current injectors used in 5.0L V8 and 2013 V6). I can buy them direct from Bosch as an "aftermarket" injector (part 62820) or a set of 8 from Atlantic British for $899/$119 a piece, even RockAuto has the injectors for $80/piece. JLR wants $400 PER INJECTOR which is robbery to me.

WorldPac says they're the same part, just a different number that’s exclusive to JLR dealers under some licensing agreement or whatnot. Nobody at Bosch is willing to disclose differences between the two. They’re identical in appearance, I know they work in the V8 models and 2013 Jaguar V6 models and they cost $300/injector less. I'm keen to hope that's true but before I bought them and had them installed I don't want to get something that won't work. I'm not aware of any changes between 2013 and even today's 3.0L SCV6, and the engines are essentially identical to the 5.0L V8 minus two cylinders and different cylinder bore sizes. Everything else is essentially a clone. If I can save $2400 in parts cost and they’d work I see no reason not to get them myself and have the JLR dealer install those. They said they would. My biggest concern is putting in $600 worth of new parts + labor and then the JLR dealer calling to inform me that unfortunately they had misdiagnosed the issue and it’s really this or that. I almost feel like it’s an ECM or electrical issue if multiple injectors are stuck open. I hadn’t gotten fuel in over a week and had used 3/4ths of it before anything happened. I always use premium, not that it really matters in quality, but I get it from legitimate places. Unless someone poured something in my fuel tank I don’t see how contamination would suddenly strike and cause multiple injectors to fail. It’s just so puzzling to me. I don’t want to spend thousands of dollars chasing down a mysterious problem that may or may not be what they say. It sucks being out of warranty.

I’ll likely sell this thing after it’s fixed and get a new truck or something. I don’t like being on the hook for huge out of pocket expenses that add no value to the vehicle when it’s time to sell.

Man... I could only wish that the JLR reads this. Such horror tales about ridiculous markups in parts' costs, and with dealerships playing equally important roles with their sheer incompetency in these stories.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72