Engine Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonnieLR4

Reaction score
Just had the "Restricted Performance" warning come up on our 2011 LR4 w 59,000 miles. Dealer says small metal shavings in oil and error code indicates timing chain tensioners and rails replacement is required. Quoting me $5800 for the job. This seems insanely expensive, but then again I always feel like I'm getting ripped off. What are my options ?

The whole front end of the vehicle, and the engine, has to come off to access timing chain/guides/etc.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    654.4 KB · Views: 82
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    759.6 KB · Views: 83

ndamico

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the timing chains/guides go bad on all lr4's? Our 2010 has 70k on it..

Cash Ripley

Reaction score
Crazy thing is, the service guys at dealer #1 who gave us huge quote cleared the code history, so dealer #2 is saying "we don't show anything is wrong with the engine". Paid $2300 for 60k tune-up and a minor repair. Now I'm scared dealer #2 after test driving it for a few days will come back and say restricted performance warning code and quote the same price for timing chain.
QUESTION: Since LR4 is just 9k miles over warranty, and I've purchased 3 vehicles from dealer #2, is there any history of getting the dealer to in good faith do the repair under warranty or at a greatly reduced rate or pay for the extended warranty to get the work done under warranty?
Thanks for your help guys.

DonnieLR4

Reaction score
Crazy thing is, the service guys at dealer #1 who gave us huge quote cleared the code history, so dealer #2 is saying "we don't show anything is wrong with the engine". Paid $2300 for 60k tune-up and a minor repair. Now I'm scared dealer #2 after test driving it for a few days will come back and say restricted performance warning code and quote the same price for timing chain.
QUESTION: Since LR4 is just 9k miles over warranty, and I've purchased 3 vehicles from dealer #2, is there any history of getting the dealer to in good faith do the repair under warranty or at a greatly reduced rate or pay for the extended warranty to get the work done under warranty?
Thanks for your help guys.

I don't know the answer to that. If it were me, I would plead my case with Jaguar Land Rover North America. It appears that this is a well known problem.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score

DonnieLR4

Reaction score
Reminds me of this: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...at-bmw-refuses-to-call-a-recall-ar166918.html

Note they mention more frequent oil changes.

On LR4's, this seems to be a more isolated issue as I've read of many people with 80k+ miles with no such issues. If it is purely mileage dependent, I guess I wont find out until the car is 8+ years old. It sure looks like a lot of work.

I don't think that's entirely accurate. I had the timing chain/guide issue at 36,000 miles.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's entirely accurate. I had the timing chain/guide issue at 36,000 miles.

Interesting. What year is your car? Is this afflicting early models only? Is it happening on other LRJ products with the same engine?

EDIT: Quick google search yielded this>

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-...2/89522-2011-timing-chain-shot-44k-miles.html

See post #19. It suggests that it's an early-ish production issue (particularly 2011 it would seem). Another guy once again points to extended oil changes. Just an FYI.

Last edited:

DonnieLR4

Reaction score

macdaddy548

Reaction score
My LR4 had the same problem. An issue with the guides causes the timing chain to not be as taught as it should be. The excessive slack cause the chain to make noise. It also changes the engine timing, which is why the "Restricted Performance" light turns on. I don't believe the parts are overly expensive, but the job is labor intensive. I would shop Land Rover dealers for the repair. They don't all charge the same.

We have just gone through this with our '11 LR4. VVT, timing chains, etc. Took a week to fix it. Luckily we got it in just before the warranty expired! Sometimes (but not often) I'm just lucky.

LOMartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any one have a recording of this sound? video?

What year LR4 are affected by this?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72