Engine Wash Killed Engine and ABS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ericksd

Reaction score
Getting ready to pull the oil pan on my 99 DII and check the pick up tube, and noticed that there was still a lot of mud and sand from my last big wade through some mucky stuff.

Took it to the quarter car wash and hosed down the under side and engine compartment real good.

I have done this several times before with not problems at all, but this time was different.

After driving for about 5 minutes, the engine just died like I turned off the ignition.

Luckily, I was able to get it started enough to get it out of the intersection.

The engine would start again, but then die after a few seconds. I noticed that when it did, there was a loud buzzing sound from the fuse paned under the hood. It was the relay with the picture of the engine with a lightning bolt through it (I will look to see what exactly that is when I am finished writing this).

Figuring it was something electrical that got wet I ran my hand under the fuse box (with the ignition on) to see if it would make a difference. When I pressed on some of the wiring, the buzzing would stop.

When I was going around the back to get what little tools I had with me, I noticed that the rear end was all the way down on the bump stops.

I was able to get the fuse box off and re-seated most of the connectors.

The engine started again and this time stayed running.

I was able to drive home, but all the way on the bmp stops. I felt like one of those dudes with a low rider hopping all the way down the road.

Well now, all the ABS and TC lights are on and the thing will not raise up.

I am just getting ready to hook up the Rovacom to see if I can figure out what is going on.

I did check the ABS fuse and Fuse link which seem to be fine.

Any ideas?

Dan

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you got water in the fuse box.... not good. You may want to take it apart later and completely dry it off so it doesn't rust.

ericksd

Reaction score
When I took the cover off, there was no water at all in the fuse box.

Some on the wiring under it though...

BTW, I was able to clear the ABS faults with the Rovacom and also use it to tell the SLS to raise the rear up again.

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Must be nice to have the Rovacom.... I just can't justify the expense yet.

ericksd

Reaction score
Yea, not sure what I would have done about the ABS thing today.

Towed to the Stealership?...Yikes!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whartonlax